April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Egg

Ate a nice hard boiled egg. Adding eggs back into my diet has been a major shift for me. As I mentioned earlier, I was vegan for five years. I was a hardcore follower of Dean Ornish, in part because I have a history of heart disease in my family. I am a very good vegan cook, and I've always eaten a ton of fresh vegetables and fruits. But I think I would have a hard time doing CR without eggs and dairy. The addition of a daily egg and a daily cottage cheese and/or yougurt has greatly increased the satisfaction I get from my diet. I am eating a higher percentage of fat than I did when I was vegan, but fewer total calories. Most of the cutback has been in grains and beans.

I didn't get to be a size eight by being a vegan though... that happened when I ate restaurant food (both high in fat and carbs, for a combined 2000+ calories a day) while having way too much fun going out with my friends. Too many nachos and margaritas... a diet that all the experts, Sears to McDougall, would frown upon. I feel much healhier now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home