April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Friday, November 19, 2004

Last Night I Didn't Get to Sleep at All

It's 4 in the morning, and I'm writing again.

I actually went to sleep around 9 and slept till just after 3, which is not too bad for me. But I heard that old song on the radio from which the headline was taken, and I thought it amusing that a radio station would be playing that at 3:30 am.

I've been getting lots of advice on what to do for insomnia, but at this point I don't mind it much... six hours of sleep is plenty, and the early hours of the morning seem to be the best time to write.

So here I am again.

Last night I made some nice steamed brussels sprouts with lemon herb olive oil and the juice of one lemon and some pepper. Brewers yeast soup. Glass of red. The rest of the almonds... 100 cals worth. ON = over 100% on everything except for: 92% Calcium, 81% Copper, 49% iron, 84% Manganese, 91% Vitamin A (that's weird, that's usually really high), 43% Zinc. 948 calories, P:F:C 35:24:41. Lower calorie day... not very hungry due to stress re: cat.

Eating my basic foods-that-work: eggwhites, plain yogurt, skim milk, almonds, brewers yeast, veggies, etc., saves me a lot of the time that I used to put into obsessing about ON. The blog up until now has been in large part about the quest for the right foods, and while obviously I still have problems, I think I've done pretty well. Now that I've figured out what seems to work for me in terms of what to eat on a daily basis, I'm planning to devote some the mental energy that had been going into the quest for the right foods for the last eight months into the quest for some meaningful way in which I can contribute to what I now understand to be the real fight: the fight to cure aging.

When I first started, I thought CR would help me live better longer, maybe a little bit longer and a lot better. Even then, I was hoping to get twenty more years out of this. [Remember that post where I said that before CR I had never thought I wanted children, but that if I could be relatively sure of getting back the 20 years I might spend raising kids, I might be willing to consider it?] I knew that starting at 29 was not as good as starting earlier would have been, and that even though the people who had been doing CR for awhile looked good and seemed to be doing much better than normal people, we couldn't be sure what would happen in the long term. Still, I thought it silly not to try...

I had absolutely no idea when I first started that there were people out there who thought there was a way to cure the fundamental problem of aging.

But wait... I'm afraid I'm giving away too much of the story. I've been working so much on the blog entries about the conference and the discussions we had there that I'm jumping ahead. You'll have to wait.

I have pretty decent mental focus now so I think I'll spend some time revising said entries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home