April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

I Have A Confession To Make

This will shock, and perhaps horrify you.

Are you ready?

I like imitation crab meat.

I ate some today. It's on the salad bar at my grocery store. I got some. I took it home and weighed it on my fancy scale. 130 grams. 133 calories. Almost all protein. Heaven only knows what it's made of. But I find it very yummy.

I ate eggwhites and flax oil for breakfast, followed by cottage cheese and a grocery store salad for lunch. For dinner, VLC stopped by for some cruciferous brewers yeast soup. Glass of cabernet (yes, sometimes I drink non-pinots. deal with it.)

Now I am tired... got a good grant application sent off and some other stuff done today that was important. The cats are getting used to having me around, though Kieffer still thinks that I should be feeding him at all times. He sleeps in his basket under my desk most of the time.

Got an interesting email from one of my life extension heroes today that mentioned metformin... asked MR about it and he said, "Go search the archives. ;)"

He winked at me, but I think you'll see that he makes no exceptions to the "find out for yourself" rule, even in my case. I searched the archives and read his posts on the topic. Very informative. It was nice to get a little dose of my favorite old drug, the CRS archives.

Nutritional analysis for today says:
Total Calories: 1023
P:F:C = 52:18:30 (I know I am in trouble -- low fat!!!)
66% iron, 44% Panto Acid, 39% Zinc, 89% calcium.
The rest all way over 100%.

MR says that if four times a week I am eating brewers yeast and getting in the 400% of my copper RDA, I should take zinc every day.

I am tired... to bed soon.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:08 PM, Blogger Mary Robinson said…

    Imitation crab has a fair amount of carbs. It's made from potatoes, white fish, and crab stock. (How do they get the little layers in there?! Cool, aren't they?) One of my very favorite salad dishes is surimi, broccoli, and bleu cheese dressing. It's heavenly. Real crab is a lot more nutritious, though.

    Hmm, so zinc to balance the copper? The metals are all about balance. Too much of one and you mess up another one. Do you get enough iron? You need lots of iron. Men forget about iron - since they need 1/2 as much as women.

     
  • At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    I keep on reading your blog just every day, although you have no news about me for a long, long time... I have been so busy in my new job! Nevertheless, I go on CR and happy with it...

    I have been a good boy and Zoneing during last year, though I must recognice I am more P:F:C about 35:40:25... but is so easy to overdo it on fat when eating nuts! At least, my calories don't surpass 2000 a day, usually laying anywere between 1400-1800.

    I have a question for you, really for or about Mr.MR ;-) Here it is... Just calories apart ... what are the other parameters MR gives importance, such as exercise, rest, meditation... social living?

    Hughs.

    w

     
  • At 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    just had to let you know that I tried the CR pizza you mentioned a while back. (Recipe is in Best of CR, recipes.) My husband helped me shop for the ingredients and make it. It was awesome! I haven't had pizza in about a year, so the concoction tasted great to me. I spread a little all natural (no sugar) pasta sauce on my low carb tortillas and piled them high with raw veggies. Then I sprayed it lightly with olive oil spray, before topping with the part-skim mozzarella and baking. My husband chose to saute all of his veggies in olive oil until soft. He restrained himself from making fun of my "pizza." Thanks for a fun idea. (I am trying out the eggs for breakfast instead of cottage cheese and have taken some zinc the last couple of days. I will let you know the results.)

    Laura

     

Post a Comment

<< Home