April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Saturday, March 12, 2005

How Not To Eat

This weekend, I am the maid of honor in my best friend's wedding. It's a very fancy occasion in Philly, with the ceremony at a beatiful hall in Rittenhouse Square. Last night was the rehearsal dinner, at a really nice Italian restaurant in South Philly. I spent lots of time in advance discussing with MR how I would handle the food challenge. Unlike tonight, when it will be a buffet, this was a sit down dinner where they just bring you the food. Needless to say, I didn't want to call attention to what I was eating. But I figured by eating small amounts I'd do fine.

Well, I was totally wrong. And when I look back at my blog records, I can see why. In a classic example of the theory of averaging that I'm trying to stop doing, I ate enough last night to make up for the very low calorie week I had when I barely went above 1000 all week.

For one thing, I had barely eaten all day. We got some exciting news over in M Prize world, and so I was working on that, finishing a grant application I wanted to send off, and then I had an appointment with my accountant that gave me lots of opportunity to reflect on the US tax code. Yikes. So all I had eaten was my breakfast eggwhites and flax oil (total 180 with the grape juice creatine chaser) and then a cup of cottage cheese (160). The dinner was supposed to start at 7 pm, and I was there right on time. I had a glass of wine while waiting for everyone to show up (I was the first one there) and there was a long, long cocktail hour during which everyone gathered and talked and drank. By the time we sat down to dinner, it was well after eight, and I was starving! I usually eat dinner at around 6, and I was starving then because I hadn't eaten enough during the day, and had eaten lightly the previous several day. Then there were not really choices as to what to eat. There was a salad, then there was choice of pork chop stuffed with something or other, a chicken dish, or black cod. I went with the chicken, which was delicious. So I ate all the salad, all of that, two little pieces of bruchetta that was served as an appetizer, and yes, I even ate the small sliver of chocloate cake they passed around for dessert. By the time I left (and I was the first one to leave) it was 10:30 and I so tired!


The moral of the story: if you're already under calories for the week, eat *before* you're confronted with a bunch of high calorie delicious food!

Still "averaging." Blergh.

The bride gave me a great looking cookbook called "High Calcium, Low Calorie." Isn't that sweet!!!!

Off to the wedding... well, to get my hair done, then to pictures, then to the wedding, then to the reception.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:56 PM, Blogger Mary Robinson said…

    How often do you go to your best friend's rehearsal dinner!! Some suspension of CRON for the occasion seems like a sane idea to me. It really didn't sound like you ate that much over normal?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home