April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

June 29th, dinner -- adventure at the Mexican place

Okay, so for today I will keep all my food and comments in the same entry. But I thought last night should have its own since it was so typical of what happens on CR when you go out to eat, or to anyone on anything but the SAD (Standard American Diet.)

So my friend and I went to this delicious Mexican place near my work that usually offers lots of healthy salads and fish dishes. I was planning to eat the salmon salad (yes, I eat fish now, mostly after following the posts of people like Michael Rae who advocate for a diet higher in fat and protein, Zone-ish. I can't bring myself to eat meat, and even getting the fish down is a challenge because it reminds me so much of what I feed my cats. But I try.) So I had already planned what to get, and figured I could take some of the huge salmon piece they serve home to my cats if I didn't want to eat it all. We got there and decided to eat on the patio, which is gorgeous this time of year, and according to city ordinance, you have to order entrees if you're on the patio. I thought this would be no problem because the salmon salad has been a special on the menu for weeks,and I've ordered it at lunch. Sure enough, it is only a lunch special. And no, I could not order a salad with grilled shrimp or anything of the sort because they did not count as entrees! So I scanned the menu, decided to order the grilled salmon "catch of the day", which came with rice that I did not eat and sauteed veggies that I picked at. I ate about 2/3 of a piece of fish that I'd guess was about 6 - 7 ounces, so I'm counting it at around 300 calories. I took the rest home to some happy kitties! No wonder I think fish is cat food... they love it! I drank a glass of chardonnay, another 100 calories-ish there, but I still managed to stay under 1100 for the day, and I felt good. My friend, whom I hadn't seen in months, was intrigued by the CR idea and was very supportive, even when I was in intense negotiations with the waitress about what to eat.

If anyone knows of a good online calorie counter, let me know. I've been using the one on myfoodbuddy.com, and it gave me the 150 for 3 oz of salmon that I used to calculate my dinner. But I'm not sure I trust it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home