April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Monday, July 19, 2004

Hazelnut pesto appears on the world stage!

Can't write much now... this week will be more like my normal life, with tons of travel, hours and hours of work, and not much time to write.  So to make a long story short:
 
Saturday: stayed at 800, but ate too much bread.
 
Sunday: went over 800 at a party, decided afterwards that I can't eat bread anymore because it is too calorie dense, nutrition poor, and I eat too much of it when I start. 
 
Good news: made hazelnut pesto and it's amazing!  I read somewhere on the list that we should eat hazelnuts, but I had never had one outside of chocolate, so I got some, toasted them in the wok, and ground them up with a bunch of fresh basil, some good olive oil, two cloves of garlic, and the juice of two lemons.  It was amazing!  Very calorie dense, but you don't need much.  For my CR friends, I would serve it on celery sticks or cucumber slices.  For non-CR people, I would serve it on bread or crackers.  It's one of the most delicious things I've ever made.
 
I also had a great trip to the Farmers' Market where I had to make four trips to my car with all of my food.  On Saturday I made a very good kale and swiss chard leaf soup with low-sodium veggie broth, garlic, cider vinegar and cabernet vinegar.  It tasted like Southern collard greens, and as I am from North Carolina (yes, to quote Jessica Simpson, "The real me is a Southern girl," those have a special place in my heart.  I am getting to love kale.  I also simmered the swiss chard stems finely diced with some leeks in olive oil with just a little salt and pepper, and that was quite good, though very field greeny tasting.  I made a big fruit salad with pineapple, blueberries, strawberries and apricots, which I am eating just a little at a time because fruit is rather high calorie.  I also made a romaine, tomato, cucumber and green pepper salad with a great vinegarette made of white wine tarragon vinegar, the juice of a couple of fresh lemons, some dried dill, a few shakes of salt and pepper, and extra virgin olive oil. 
 
This week I think I will end up low on calories because I am travelling so the options will be limited, but I ate about 1500 on Sunday, so just throw another hundred onto my averages for every day this week.
 
I can't wait till my Walford software gets here... any day now!  I'm trying to emotionally prepare for the shock I know I'll get when I find out how deficient my diet has probably been.  I definitely have room for improvement! 
 
More as soon as I can... I'm on the road tonight so it might not be till tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home