April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Friday, July 23, 2004

Road Trip to 1200

Hi there...

I just want you to know that I am writing this at Kinko's for 20 cents a minute, and if that's not a dedicated blogger, than I don't know what is.

My road trip went okay, but I went up closer to my old target level of 1200, or at least I think I did.  Dinner on Wednesday was not bad... Applebee's was the only place we could find, but as it turns out they have a Weight Watchers' menu with the calorie counts listed.  If I had left it at just the Weight Watcher menu dish for 260 (shrimp, grilled veggies, brown rice) I would have been under 800 for the day.  But I had shared a veggie patch pizza appetizer with a co-worker.  That no doubt put me up in the 1000s for the day or more.  Thursday I got a decent lunch at a place called Eat-n-Park which believe it or not had a salad bar.  Salad of lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers with vinegar and a scoop of cottage cheese, then a small pate of steamed cauliflower, broccoli and carrots.  That night we finally went to the Italian restaurant I had been angsting about for days, so in I went, prepared to order what Mary Robinson suggested in her blog, and sure enough, it's not on the menu!  Imagine my confusion as I stare at the menu, visions of pasta dancing in my head, looking for something I can eat.  Even the salads were out of the question due to pasta and chicken which I can't bring myself to eat.  I coudn't exactly get up from the table, call Mary Robinson and ask what to do, so I finally got a side salad and a shrimp over pasta dish.  It wasn't too bad except that the salad had feta and olives and I should have ordered the shrimp and said hold the pasta but I didn't so I ate two bites of the pasta.  Still not bad for the day... with two glasses of red wine I probably went not more than 1200 for the day.  But still, way more than I really needed.  Today is going to be light... just ate a spinich salad with onions and a little scoop of chickpeas, and may not need to eat again today as it's already close to four and I'm taking the  night off from going out.  (Since I've barely been home at all this week I need a night to hang out and read... for reading plan, see next paragraph.)   I used to fast quite often when my average calorie level was 1100 ish... if I went over on Saturday night, for example, I'd fast on Sunday or skip lunch (I never eat breakfast) and just eat a salad for dinner, or a hard boiled egg.  I haven't done that since I dropped lower because that would just drop my averages too low,  but since I was up the last two days, if today is low and I'm still feeling good, I think it will be for the best.

Tomorrow is the Farmers' Market.  Yea!  I love to play with vegetables.  I may also  make Mary Robinson's asparagus soup that she posted on her blog yesterday... it looks like a great way to worship the asparagus.  My co-workers are already asking me to bring it in for Monday's lunch.  I may also have people over for dinner tomorrow night, though that is unclear and may turn into a going out in Center City Philly event.  I've always enjoyed cooking for groups of people, but now that I'm doing CR I like it even more because I can control and count my calories, while trying out interesting vegetable dishes on unsuspecting victims.  Everyone loved the hazelnut pesto last weekend. 

Meanwhile, I am currently holding a print out of The Albatross, the now famous post by Michael Rae some time ago that is frequently quoted and referenced by CRON folks.  I had wanted to read it for a long time, but when I first started CR was right around the time of the archive disaster, and then the link was broken.  Now MR has re-posted it (if you're out there, MR, thanks!) and I'm going to read it tonight.  I figured it would be cheaper to print it out and read it in the comfort of my own home than to sit here at Kinkos freezing (why do they over air-condition these places?) reading it.  I had started to doubt that the Albatross was a real post... with all that it's quoted, I thought it might be a mythical source invented by modern day scholars to explain the seeming consistency in later writings.  But now I have it, direct from MR himself, so it must be real.  Supposedly, this will make me eat more protein.  I'm glad I can read it myself because I have discovered that different people quote MR differently to prove different, sometimes opposing, points.  For example: MR says we should eat fish.  MR says we should not eat fish.  Someone, somewhere, has probably quoted MR to prove that we should lie on the beach drinking margaritas and eating Krispy Kremes.  In any case, I'll read it tonight and I'll no doubt spend 20 cents per minute tomorrow to tell you what I learn. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home