April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

It Won't Do To Dream of Caramel

The first line of Suzanne Vega's "Caramel," a song which should go on the CR theme mix tape if there ever was one.

And the title of this post because one of the most interesting and useful things I found out about at the conference was how eating just one bite of a food that is high in saturated fat and sugar causes physical changes in the body that make you want more of that food!

Like many things I learned at the conference, I learned it from another CR practitioner in conversation outside the main sessions. Chatting with a CR brother, let's call him Very Perceptive CR Brother, on a walk in downtown Charleston, he described how this phenomenon works. So it's not just my imagination... trying just a little bit of something really does make you desperately want more! The potato chip manufacturers are correct: You can't eat just one!

I thought this information would be particularly useful to my blog readers, if anyone out there is struggling with food cravings and social situations where people urge you to "just try a bite" of whatever it is they're eating.

This morning, at a meeting with nurses, I remembered this advice and refused to eat even one small piece of the bagels with cream cheese feast that was provided. I know better than to have even a taste of my old arch nemesis.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger Mary Robinson said…

    The nutritional diary tool - used faithfully every day - eliminates this problem for me. I really try hard not to lie to the diary. If I know that I will have to see the damage in useless calories, I can stop.

    Also, I never "cheat" when I am hungry. That is way too dangerous. If I have eaten and have had the 30 minutes for my hunger detectors to decide that I'm not hungry any more, then I will try a little bite. None of the cheating foods really taste all that great to me anymore. The diary helps on this, since I know what's in them (or what's not in them). Since I value foods as much for nutritional contents as for taste, the bad foods do not have the same appeal.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home