April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Thursday, November 25, 2004

One Fine Day

George Clooney and Michelle Phiffer (that's not how you spell her name, but you know who I mean, the former Catwoman) movie that I watched at my dad's house last night. I don't own a television or a VCR (or a DVD or whatever it is these days,) so it's rare that I watch a movie.

It's the title of this post because Thanksgiving went relatively well. My relatives were very supportive of my new mid-CR look, and no one shrieked "You're too thin!"

I did okay on food. I started with a plate of six steamed shrimp, no cocktail sauce, just lemon, and a plate of salad: lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, and olives, no dressing. Then I got a plate of steamed veggies: broccoli, sweet potato and acorn squash, as well as tiny tastes of my old favorites: about a tablespoon of mashed potato, stuffing and green bean casserole. Just enough to taste it, but not enough to make up more than one bite of each. I had a tiny sliver of the apple pie and a bite of the baked Alaska, a dessert which fascinated me as a child, since I never did figure out how they got the ice cream inside the cake and meringue. If anyone knows how they do that, please write in. I am fascinated by all engineering, from biomedical to baking.

My grandparents were sprightly and adoreable as ever, and my aunt and uncle brought my aunt's mother who is 97. My niece Madeline was busy being adoreable and throwing herself into my father's pumpkin soup, while her mom, my sister-in-law, handled it all with patience. She had a baby in April and is already back to her pre-baby figure, which is astounding. I told her I hope my step-brother spends every waking hour thanking God that this beautiful, calm, patient, smart woman married him. I suspect that he does. He's a very intelligent man.

As I always seem to do when I am in the land of free flowing excellent wine (aka my father's house,) I drank more calories in alcohol than are helpful. I had a small one of my dad's world famous Bloody Mary's before Thanksgiving dinner, and merlot with the meal. Later on at around 10 last night my step-mother showed me her interesting new creation of orange zinger Celestial Seasonings tea with a dash of orange juice and a dash of Myers' Dark Rum, so I had one of those. I hope I haven't lost too many brain cells to the neurotoxins.

Today I was back on the straight and narrow. Well, I skipped breakfast, which wasn't good, but I ate a good lunch of romaine with tomato, celery, red onion, beets, balsamic vinegar, and a half cup of cottage cheese. Then my mother cooked us Thanksgiving dinner late, with free range organic turkey, cranberry sauce, green beans, and a small steamed sweet potato. It was delicious. Her cat didn't seem interested in the turkey, but I am about to take leftovers home to Kieffer, who I'm sure will behave in a more cat-appropriate fashion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home