April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

You're Not Too Skinny!

That's what my step-mother said upon seeing me in the new mid-CR incarnation. My dad confessed to a certain amount of apprehension but agreed that I look healthy.

I took a play from Kenton's book and salt loaded last night... eggdrop soup and a salted pretzel at the airport. My flight was delayed several times, and I met the most fascinating people while hanging out in the airport bar. First, a woman sat down next to me and we started chatting... I won't go into too much detail about her as she has not consented to being a character in the blog, but as it turns out she has a PhD in pharmacology and we have a ton of interests in commom. We also live near each other and are about the same age, so we're going to hang out after the holiday. I am so excited... I am always on the lookout for new friend-girls, as my circle of close friends is mostly men. That's great when you need someone to get something down from a high shelf, or you want "the guy's perspective," or you need to field a basketball team for some reason. But sometimes a girl just wants to hang with girls, and I seem to have trouble finding many girls close to my age who share my outlook on the world. My closest friend-girls seem to have all moved away from town.

She left and I discovered that my plane was delayed yet again, so I ordered a glass of cabernet and a kid, about 22, sat down next to me. He was thinking of going to law school, but definitely had a "save the world" mentality to him, so I talked him into checking out the Organizing Institute's website and thinking about becoming a union organizer. I thought that made for a fair and balanced airport bar experience: I may have been chilling with my de Grey articles and the cool science girl, but then I did my part for the labor movement by recruiting some new organizer blood. It all works out in the end... I hope.

Today we went to Southern Season, as promised, and for the first time in about ten years my step-mother and I ordered the same thing for lunch: garden salad with steamed shrimp on top. Back in my lowfat vegan days, she was doing Atkins. You can imagine the difficulties of those days. Anywya, she was actually interested in the CR stuff, and detecting that I had a new and willing victim, I went on at great, great length. She now knows more than she ever wanted to about p:f:c ratios, good protein sources, where to get calcium, etc. We went shopping and I bought some very interesting pepper and spice mixes, the kind that come with a grinder, that looked like they would be fun to play with at home and add to recipes. I love spices. I love strong flavors of any kind.

We went to the grocery store near home after that and I was stopped dead in my tracks by the sight of the most beautiful skinny green asparagi I've seen in ages, but alas, I couldn't get them because we're going over to the neighbors' for "cocktails and heavy hors d'oeuvres." Hmmmm. I am a little concerned about what this will mean. I'm not hungry and I haven't had that many calories today, just the salad plus a few little grocery store samples, 500 calories today max but more likely around 400 (I am afraid of the calories in a small piece of cheese that I tasted) so I can afford a little. I have my brewers yeast with me, and am planning to eat some of that in broth after the event to fix some of the nutritional holes I know will be left in this day if I don't.

more soon more soon... my dad needs the computer.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Grinders--- Can't wait to see them. I got some today also----in Chestnut Hill. Had shrimp with Asian spices and salad.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home