April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Impromptu Dinner Party

One thing that's unusual about my work is that it is very slow around the holiday time. Yesterday, I worked eight hours. This rarely ever happens, as I've had a lot more 5 am - 9 pm days in the last nine years than 9 am - 5 pm. But it tends to happen around holiday time, since nurses are usually responsible for all holiday related program activities in their families (shopping, kids' stuff, organizing family get-togethers, etc.) so they basically won't do anything else during December. I have actually had meetings at the mall food court, since that's the only place to catch a nurse at this time of year. It's nice in a way, since I had gone about two months without a day off prior to the CR Society conference in early November.

Since we were leaving the office at dinner time, VLC (for those of you who are new, that's Very Little Co-worker. I give the characters in my life fake names to protect their identities, so that if you ever meet a woman who is about 5'2" and very thin and who seems to know a lot about CR but isn't me, you won't immediately know her name and what she ate for dinner last night.) VLC and I hang out together a lot, and she's de facto CR (she said she wasn't for a long time, but then she joined the CR Society last week, so she's in now.) So last night when it became clear that we would leave the office at an absurdly early hour for us (5 pm instead of the usual 8 or 9), she suggested that we pick up some vegetables and go to my house for dinner. She picked up eggplant, tomatoes and asparagus, which she stir-fried in my wok with just a drop of oil and some Williams Sonoma chile lime sauce, while I made chicken vegetable soup with broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. We invited a third CR friendly dinnerguest to join us who brought a bottle of wine, so we had a sudden dinner party. It fun, low calorie, and nutrient dense, not to mention that it took about fifteen minutes to prepare.

Today was a light weekday, just half a container of cottage cheese (140 calories) and a salad of romaine, tomatoes, celery, onions, and pickles with red wine vinegar. I'm going to a party tonight where I will no doubt be the only person who really eats from the vegetable tray. It works out well... no one else wants the vegetables, and I don't want the fried things with tails that are invariably on the buffet table at catered events.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home