April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The Most Important Thing About a Calcium Supplement Is That You Take It

That's my quote for the day. Unless you just crawled out from under a rock, you can figure out who said it. It wasn't a general pronouncement, I think it was just me-specific advice. I think it actually is ironic that girl-who-can't-take-pills is now very happily entangled with someone who spent the last five years creating pills. Luckily, we've figured out that I will take supplements if they are presented in the form of little treats. Yes, much as though I were an animal that is incapable of rational thought and responds only to yummy food. Last night after I had finished a delicious CR dinner with actual CR friends (wow!) we all shared a dessert of my chewy calcium supplements. I had two: that's 40 calories. The only calcium food I'd had was 80 cals of cottage cheese, so I felt like I could have two calcium treats. Am I wrong?

Yesterday's food was boring until dinner: 80 cals of cottage cheese, followed by a salad of lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, hot peppers, cucumbers, green peppers, onions, olives, vinegar.

For dinner I made a delicious "cream" of cauliflower soup: two heads of cauliflower pureed in six cups of free range organic chicken broth with four cloves of garlic, a few dashes of salt, and some of this calorie free parmesean flavored Italian seasoning that comes in a shaker with a lot of other Italianesque seasonings. It was really, really good. Way to be cruciferous! Then I made a shrimp dish with red peppers, mushrooms, and artichoke hearts sauteed in white wine with a little bit of salt, stirred in the shrimp and served over a bed of arugula. Dessert was granny smith apples baked in a little spiced rum with cinnamon and a toasted walnuts on top, along with a thin layer of confectioner's sugar. Very CR friendly. My CR friends from New Jersey brought over a bottle of Chaddsford red wine, of which I had a glass and a half. Excellent CR dinner!

Had a good day on the phones yesterday chatting with M Prize donors. Back to it today!

2 Comments:

  • At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "arugula" ???!
    Never heard of it so had to look that one up ! Known as our favourite salad "rocket" for all UK readers out there.

    Lindsay

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi, its S. here!

    I like the calcium/magnesium/zinc tablets from trader joes.

    Somedays, like today, I eat 4 cups of organic plain nonfat yogurt=440 calories and 160% of calcium requirment.

    Your cauliflower soup sounds awesome!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home