April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Revenge of the Zinc

Remember how for months on end I was blogging about the difficulty of getting enough calcium, iron and zinc? Well, the zinc got me back.

MR has me taking a zinc tablet every day, and I've been doing very well taking my supplements. I've also thought of eating oysters once a week since they're super high in zinc and I like them. That wasn't enough to satisfy the Spirit of the Zinc, I suppose, because it pulled a horrible trick on me last night.

Yesterday I couldn't find my bottle of generic ibuprofen, but I thought that I had put some into a little zip lock baggie for travel, so when I found some small pills in a bag with my calcium chewies, I thought, that must be the ibuprofen. So I took three.

About three hours later, I was still feeling horrible, and the ibuprofen didn't seem to be working. So I took two more and went to bed.

Then I woke up in the middle of the night, still in pain, but with a brainstorm about where the ibuprofen bottle might be. I opened the bottle and lo and behold, the ibuprofen isn't white. It's orange. The better to imitate Advil, I guess.

Oooops. It gradually dawns on me that those little white pills with my calicium chewies were the zincs I had packed when I went to Calgary. Ooops. So I had taken about five zincs, and I couldn't remember for sure if I might have had more earlier. No wonder they were working!

After some debate inside my head, I decided it wouldn't be good to call MR in the middle of the night to ask him if I was going to die of a zinc overdose. This morning when I told him the story he caught on right away, long before the punchline, and said, "It was zinc, wasn't it?"

I guess the zinc had the last laugh. No oysters for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home