April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Monday, February 28, 2005

Longing For Taco Bell

Last night, MR and I had a long talk about Taco Bell. Taco Bell bean burritos and seven layer burritos were one of my favorite things pre-CR. Now I still long for them, and could eat them of course as there are no forbidden foods on CR, it's only a matter of how many calories you wish to use. So last night MR looked at the Taco Bell nutrition info he had downloaded prior to leaving for Charleston, and we found two things that are low-cal, high protein: Chicken gordidita, Fiesta style, and steak something or other, fiesta style.

I was all excited about finding these things in the food court today at Union Station in DC, where I was for a meeting. And there was no Taco Bell.

Imagine my sadness. There I am, all ready to eat Taco Bell for the first time in months. With the blessing of MR. With caloric content memorized, and protein grams too! And no Taco Bell.

Well, by this time, as you can imagine, I wanted a burrito. I hadn't had breakfast (much to the shock and horror of MR whom I spoke to while drinking coffee -- at least I was letting my strontium dissolve!) so I was hungry! It was about ten am, I had been up since four. So I got a low carb tortilla with a chicken burrito. Chicken, pinto beans, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion. Not terrible. Put lots of good salsa on it.

Got home in the middle of a snowstorm... it's still coming down out there. DC got hit pretty bad from what I hear, it was definitely coming down when I left. I ate for dinner two cups of cottage cheese and a bowl of broccoli, carrots and cauliflower with tomatoes. Needed to get a little calcium and some good veggies.

Not a perfect CR day, but not bad for on the road and in a snow storm. Eggwhites tomorrow!

8 Comments:

  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger Mary Robinson said…

    So, what's so bad about a chicken burrito? Especially with a low carb burrito. It's probably as good as the Taco Bell things MR picked out. I have been known to eat an Enchirito at times. It scores .80 on my tool (set at 1100 calories) - a respectable score. Way better than any sandwich. The sauce on it has 21% of the RDA of A, and it's 20/40/40 on P/C/F. It averages 24% of the B vitamins and 17% of the minerals. A little too much fat and especially sat fat.

     
  • At 4:10 AM, Blogger Martha M. Smith (Marti) said…

    Let's go tonight--
    I agree with Mary...chicken burrito for me. We coud make them at home with TB stuff from Clemens. Where is a TB near home? Maybe MR can evaluate the ON burrito. But....what about pintos and cheese? Ymmmm.

     
  • At 4:10 AM, Blogger Martha M. Smith (Marti) said…

    Let's go tonight--
    I agree with Mary...chicken burrito for me. We coud make them at home with TB stuff from Clemens. Where is a TB near home? Maybe MR can evaluate the ON burrito. But....what about pintos and cheese? Ymmmm.

     
  • At 4:11 AM, Blogger Martha M. Smith (Marti) said…

    Let's go tonight--
    I agree with Mary...chicken burrito for me. We coud make them at home with TB stuff from Clemens. Where is a TB near home? Maybe MR can evaluate the ON burrito. But....what about pintos and cheese? Ymmmm.

     
  • At 4:11 AM, Blogger Martha M. Smith (Marti) said…

    Let's go tonight--
    I agree with Mary...chicken burrito for me. We coud make them at home with TB stuff from Clemens. Where is a TB near home? Maybe MR can evaluate the ON burrito. But....what about pintos and cheese? Ymmmm.

     
  • At 4:11 AM, Blogger Martha M. Smith (Marti) said…

    Let's go tonight--
    I agree with Mary...chicken burrito for me. We coud make them at home with TB stuff from Clemens. Where is a TB near home? Maybe MR can evaluate the ON burrito. But....what about pintos and cheese? Ymmmm.

     
  • At 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi April --

    I have sometimes ordered from Taco Bell based on a Dr. Sears recommendation. A fully zoned meal is two Ranchero soft chicken tacos, fresca style. Each taco is 170 calories and has 12 grams of protein. I follow this approach when I go with friends to the local taqueria as well. I order to chicken tacos on corn tortillas. I load up on the pico de gallo and grilled green onions (cebollitas). Sometimes, I get a cup of black bean soup and don't eat the soft corn tortillas on one of the tacos. i have found that there are good choices avaiable at Tex-Mex and Mexican restaurants if you can convince yourself that the chip basket and margaritas aren't for you! Have fun on your next Taco Bell excursion

     
  • At 7:32 PM, Blogger fruitydog said…

    omg. i just had the best spring roll.
    well half of it, plus some bubbly wine (a celebration).
    full of crab, shrimp and lettuce. wrapped in some rice pasta-tortilla thingie.

    a great fast foods treat. but now i'm thinking sushi would be the cronest fast food party.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home