April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Saturday, July 24, 2004

Albatross

Read it last night and again this morning.  I ended up having company for dinner, so it wasn't until nine that I finally got started.  Answered a lot of my questions, but created other, new questions.  I think I will go buy _The Soy Zone_ today. 

It's funny to think that back in 2000 when Michael Rae originally wrote it, I was the low fat, high carb, "I don't even own a bottle of oil and I'm scared of the fat in tofu" favorite potluck chef of the West Philly vegan establishment. 

More later...

I'm back, but just for a minute.  Things I have to deal with:

1)  Just bought _The Soy Zone_ after an agonizing discussion with a bookstore employee who tried to inform  me that it was out of print.   Will read it probably later today or tonight, depending on how long the going out event goes tonight.

2)  None of my clothes fit.  Must shop!  Happened upon a scale a few days ago and discovered that my weight may be dropping faster than it should.  To be honest, I don't weigh myself much.  I don't have a scale at home so I don't really weigh myself unless I happen upon one.  I feel like if it's calories, calories, calories, then my weight on the scale isn't a very useful number.  But I happened upon the same scale two weeks in a row at a friend's house and discovered that I had lost five pounds.  That's a little too fast for two weeks so I may up my calorie count a bit.  I still feel great and have tons of energy, but you read so many warnings about losing weight too fast that I should probably watch out.  I'm sure Sears will  have some high fat but not saturated fat suggestions for how I can throw in another 100 calories.  I may have cut down too far too fast in an attempt to become Liza May.  It's a month name solidarity thing.  Anyway, I thought my frequent episodes of eating too much when going out would balance off the lower target, but perhaps not. 

3)  My mental conversation about how much work I still have to do to get anywhere near the ON part of the CRON equation continues.  I almost feel like I have been playing around with CR up until now.  Sure, I've lost 25 pounds, I feel great, I look great, and I've learned a lot.  I've cut out bread, cut way back on grains, never ate that much sugar anyway (except for the red wine which I need to cut back on) and cut my calorie levels, but I still have a long, long way to go.  It's a process.  

4)  I'm going out tonight with a group of friends, one of whom has a brother visiting from out of town.  Apparently, the out of town brother doesn't like anything other than greasy American food.  My friend who is coordinating the event pointed out that this might be a problem for me, so I said "With as little as I eat now, I'm fine most anywhere."  To which she replied, "Well, then it's a hamburger for him, a tossed salad for you, and everybody's happy."  Not a bad way to look at it. 

Oh, and in addition to re-reading the Albatross, walking four miles, buying The Soy Zone, and purchasing every vegetable and fruit known to New Jersey at the Farmers' Market, I also whipped up a delicious vegetable creation of diced leeks and two bunches of fresh spinich sauteed in 1 tablespoon of olive oil with a dash of pepper, a pinch of salt, and a couple of squeezes from a fresh lemon.  It was delicious! 

Now if only I could find some skinny asparagus... or is it asparagi? 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home