April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Monday, August 02, 2004

Birthday Dinner with the Person I Yelled at for Putting Oil in the Stew

I said I was sorry. He said it was okay, and wondered why I was making such a big deal about it. Since the incident occurred in 2001, I can see why he had already made peace with it. Clearly, I am the only one who really cares about these things.

Anyway, we went to the Chinese Vegetarian restaurant where we used to go all the time when we were both vegans and I had:

a cup of tomato bean curd soup
the steamed vegetable plate, sauce on the side, no rice
shared an order of steamed vegetable dumplings
a couple bites of his tofu
glass of wine

More calories than I would have eaten on a non-birthday celebration day, but very high quality ones, including some protein in the tofu (yes, I know I need to get rid of so much soy but this was a classic example of when you're in a restaurant that has no other vegetarian protein options) and a nice plate of veggies including snap peas, carrots, green peppers, onions, tomatoes, broccoil, waterchestnuts. The vegetable dumplings were steamed and packed with more good veggies. So I felt okay. Had a nice chat with old friend... bored him to tears no doubt with all the details of the CR society list goings on, but as he's used to being lectured by me about nutrition, it was probably no more boring than my conversation ever was.

I made up a giant pot of vegetable soup to eat this week. Each serving has 216.7 calories. It contains: kale, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and collard greens, plus vegan vegetable broth, cabernet vinegar, dried basil, and dried oregano for seasoning. Super yummy, kinda like a hot salad. It looks like today we are going out for my birthday lunch at work, however. So I will have a cold salad there and then perhaps eat the veggie soup later or tomorrow.

Back in the groove with my berry whey powder skim milk protein shake. I actually like it. I may still like the *idea* of it more than I like the taste, but who cares, it's 28 grams of protein.

I am thinking Willie may be right re: breakfast and hunger, but I am going to continue my experiment this week.

More soon.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger fruitydog said…

    hey april,

    if your breakfast doesn't trigger hunger, it's probably a good thing. can't get more nutrient dense and antioxidizing what with the berries, whey and skim milk.

    that homemade soup sounds quite potent as well. i really admire the solid, steady nature of your choices.

    fruitgirl

     

Post a Comment

<< Home