April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Fifty Ways To Get Your Protein

She said it's really not my habit to intrude
Furthermore I hope my meaning won't be lost or misconstrued
But I'll repeat myself
At the risk of being crude
There must be fifty ways to get your protein

With apologies to Paul Simon.

On my 1.25 hour commute into work this am (this is why I'm moving in September!) I tuned into the classic rock station and heard this old song... made me think of my quest for protein. 

Anyway, today is going to be a protein day because yesterday I fell short and I'm also cleaning out some stuff I had in the fridge in preparation for a weekend when I will be going out more than cooking.  I have packed: egg, cottage cheese, veggie dogs (may as well eat them as they're there, I think right now protein deficiency is a bigger problem for me than the negative effects of soy) and the rest of my bizarre protein shake that I couldn't quite get down yesterday.  I've also packed 100 calories worth of olives to add to my lunch salad.  I love olives!  It might be easier for me to get good fats from olives than from olive oil.  This might be a good time to share one of my all time favorite recipes, vegan olive tapenade:

pitted kalamata olives
several cloves of garlic
olive oil
capers
a couple of grinds fresh pepper

Food process.  Eat with a spoon.  Serve with bread if you are serving to non-CR folk.  If you are serving it to CR folk, I am so jealous of you for having CR friends you can cook for! 

I think that between my walnut or hazelnut pesto, tapenade and olives, I will be able to get good fats by eating foods I actually like. 

Protein is another question.  Am going to seriously investigate the eggwhite option.  For my 30th birthday on Monday, people keep asking me what I want.  I keep telling them that I already have everything I want:  great friends, great family, a job worth living for in which I've been very successful, a really cute cat, and a horrifying collection of pop music on tapes.  But what I really want is a good protein source!  Something that doesn't totally gross me out, that doesn't come packed with calories or saturated fat.  So comment away, friends.  And this weekend, I will be making an eggwhite omlet with a cup of eggwhites.  Thank you, Fruitgirl!

Spent my nightly insomnia hour (actually, I've been sleeping through the night from time to time lately, which is odd for me) considering the bin packing problem of my diet.  I think I am going to become one of those people like Kenton and Dean who designs a diet and sticks with it most days.  All this freaking out about am I getting this or that is getting old, and once my weight stabilizes, I will probably want to push my calorie level down as far as I can take it.  I think I may not end up in the moderate CR camp.  My own research and constant search of the archives leads me to believe that intense CR is possible for me, and is the only way to really maximize life span.  But I've been doing things in the wrong order: trying to lower calories at the same time as making a drastic change in the composition of my diet.  My diet was already rather Walford-esque, even at 800 calories, in its low fat, high carb composition (and I might point out that in lots of Walford's sample menus he has a four ounce glass of red wine.)  But if I'm heading in the direction of a more Zonish protein fat carb ratio, it makes sense to re-design my diet (or design it in the first place, because though I was always very conscious,  I was not nearly careful enough) before I drop my cals so dramatically.  And of course I must prevent overly quick weight loss.  I must also enjoy this unique moment in history when I weigh exactly the same as two of my CRON idols, who need not be named but who have the same initials.

So onward with the quest! 

My software, by they way, has not been mailed yet.  The company finally called me back yesterday and said that they only process orders twice a month!  So my order will be processed on Friday.  Hopefully I will get my software early next week. 

Last night wasn't bad.  I drank about half of my green protein shake, so 11.5 grams of protein for 100 calories.  It was odd but not horrible.  Would have been better if mixed in a blender, but that would require me to be somewhere near my blender at the time of consumption.  So up to 810 with that.  Add on a Subway garden salad, 60 cals, with (are you sitting down?) vinegar and OLIVE OIL!  Yes, that's 45 calories worth of olive oil, something I would not normally eat but have been convinced that I should.  Bringing my total up to 915.  Then I went out for a glass of red wine with a friend after work bringing my total up to just over 1000.  While it would have been better to have finished the strange green shake instead of the wine, I don't feel bad about yesterday's choices.  It's a process!  If I were to just eat a diet that sprung fully formed from the head of the best minds in CR, we wouldn't have the entertainment of the quest.  Perhaps it will be more meaningful if I take this year to figure this stuff out for myself.  I know that I am enjoying the process. 

I worship the Subway salad.  Though I'd have to say, I miss the old shreaded lettuce ones.  Sure, it's better now with the spinich and the carrots and the grape tomatoes instead of the limp sliced ones, but for so many years the shredded lettuce salad in the square plastic container with red wine vinegar (not the sugary vinegarette) and a dash of pepper was one of my favorite foods.  Do you guys miss it as much as I do?  Subway is one of the only places where I can get edible food on the road.  In my low fat high carb days, I used to eat the bread and tell them to hold the olives!  Let's have a good laugh at my expense, shall we?

Okay, gotta get some stuff done.  More soon.

 

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home