April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Ye Gods and Little Fishes!

Or big fishes. 

It was determined that in celebration of Very Little Co-Worker's return from vacation, we, meaning VLC, plus co-worker who eats a lot but burns it off through sports (henceforth known as Sportsburner) and I would go out to lunch at The Mexican Place.  (again, not its real name, but I'm trying not to use real names in my blog, since no one but me wants what they ate to be discussed with the entire world.) 

So I abandoned my intended lunch of soy dogs with broccoli and lettuce and ordered instead:

a salmon salad, which turned out to have a giant piece of dead fish, grilled (apparently no oil), I'd say about 8 ounces for 373 calories and 56 grams of protein.
Add to that the cottage cheese I ate at 10 am for 110 cals and 11 grams of protein and you get:

PROTEIN = DONE!

It came on a bed of greens with a couple of slices of mandarin orange and avocado and tomato, plus a little vinegarette dressing (GOOD FATS = DONE!)

Probably about 150 cals in the rest of the salad: only three small slices of avocado and I didn't use the rest of the dressing, but it was all high fat stuff. 

633ish so far today, maybe even 650, and I feel like I am done with food.  I actually enjoyed the fish, which could be entirely psychological, or could be a function of getting more protein makes you like protein more.  None to take home to the cat. 

Tonight, perhaps I will eat a salad of lettuce and steamed broccoli and cauliflower.  I haven't had my cruciferous vegetables yet today, and I should try to get them in before the day is through. 

I prefer to have my largest meal in the middle of the day.  I am not a breakfast person (and have yet to be presented with evidence as to why we should eat breakfast, though I'm sure that another search of the archives will bring my world crashing down upon my head... again!) and I don't sleep well if I eat a lot before bed.  So I'm happy with just a few steamed veggies or a salad at night, with the bulk of my protein eaten at lunch.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:42 AM, Blogger Willie said…

    Good done, April. Salmon is not only about protein, but a very good source of w3 fats, as EPA and DHA.

    I don't take breakfast for 6 years now, and I can tell you I guess I won't never take it. As far as Mattson proves in his studies with rats, CR is far better for the brain when done in the fasting mode (eating every other day) than when it's done "a la" traditional, that is, steady low in calories 3-5 meals a day. For ageing, both the two methods work the same. He's currently carrying out an experiment with people fasting every day for 20 hours a day and eating all the food in the remaining time. This supports my no-breakfast theory; I actually do a 16/18 hours a day fast for these last 6 years.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home