April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

No Whey

I don't know what was wrong with me today, but I was just not feeling the whey berry protein shake.

I tried to drink it. I was really hungry. I really liked it yesterday.

But it just wasn't happening for me today. I drank only half of it. 100 cals, 14 grams of protein.

I'll have to experiment with the recipe some more.

In good news, I ate my 216.7 calorie vegetable soup for lunch, with carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, collard greens, tomatoes, and kale. It was great!

Now I'm seriously behind on protein. I have an egg and a cottage cheese as well as soy dogs in the fridge at work, so I will probably eat them all before I leave.

At least I'm only up to 316.7 calories so far today. And back in the groove with not feeling hungry, after the weekend of confusing food consumption.

There, just ate egg. 70 calories, 7 grams of protein. Gotta figure out the whole eggwhite thing... too many cals and too much saturated fat in the egg. Total today just under 400. 21 grams of protein so far. Long way to go. There was probably some protein in the veggies, but I forgot to add it up when I made the soup. Ooops.

Still hungry... ate cottage cheese. This time lowfat, 90 cals, 11 grams of protein. Up to 32 grams of protein, at just under 500 calories. Still a far piece to go on today's protein.

Still hungry! Is this hunger cosmic punishment for not drinking my whey powder? Is it protein deficiency starting to talk, now that I've finally started eating enough protein for a few days? Ate two soy dogs, 90 calories total, 18 grams of protein. Now we're at 50 grams of protein, 476 + 90 = 566. Not bad for 50 grams of protein. Now I feel better. I am hoping for an arugula salad at happy hour with friends. I feel like I deserve arugula.





2 Comments:

  • At 2:49 AM, Blogger Willie said…

    Ha, ha... I laughed when I read about your birthday again; I started thinking you weren't going to aging because you weren't have chance of celebrating more future birthdays, so staying forever in 30th! (LOL again)

    I like your way of taking steady steps and experimenting with your body, hunger and situations. Only wanted to say to you that if you want really to leave cravings behind, you must eat good protein, and I think that, when trying CR, that means to be eating fish, eggs, poultry's breasts. Don't blast me yet, remember I was vegan for several years, and know what I'm speaking about!

    For other different reasons than protein, I would say you would be better not eating dairy and/or soy, but is a very large story, so I leave it up to your good sense.

    I know mine's is just an opinion, and that in the CR support group or in the CR Society, there are a lot of people with a large knowledge of nutrition. But only because of the 15 years experimenting with my diet I could say to you I think that the one could be optimum would be that composed of vegetables, lean animal flesh (fish, poultry), eggs, fruit and a few tree nuts and seeds. More specifically? Well, for your calorie goal, two pounds of vegetables (300), one pound of fruit (300) half a pound of flesh (300) and a few treats -nuts, oil, olives...- (100). You have 15+3+45+3=66 grams or more from protein in just 1000 kcal (that is a minimum of 27% kcal from protein). And you have all the RDAs there.

     
  • At 3:05 AM, Blogger Willie said…

    Only one more thing:

    That eggs have a lot of saturated fat is just not true. You can see it in any food table. They have an average of 10 grams of fat per 100 grams, where 2.5 are PUFAs (w3 and w6), 4.5 are monounsaturated, and about the remaining 3 grams are saturated. Sure you are eating a lot more saturated fat with the daily cottage cheese you have. And eggs have a lot of nutrients, just a lot of them, while dairy have virtually nothing but calcium, protein and fat.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home