April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Thursday, August 26, 2004

Type It Straight Into My Memory Banks

Yes, that is a direct quote from the Outkast song that goes "Shake it like a Poloroid picture." You want to read the blog, you're going to get some pop music. Just be glad I haven't found a way to upload songs... yet!

I am so frustrated by the process of thinking I have a good way to solve a nutritional problem, acting on it, and then searching the archives to find out that I am WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!

So my solution is this: I need to upload the entire CR Society archives into my head, and all future posts need to be typed straight into my memory banks. I have mentioned before that I have a somewhat freakish ability to memorize long strings of words that I don't understand.

It happened like this:

My quest for sources of copper, iron and zinc led me to Whole Foods, where I was reading the labels on varios kinds of edible yeast products, on the suggestion of VLC.

If you ever want to get the attention of suburban supermarket employees, just sit on the floor. Several of them came over to see if I needed help. The yeast was all on the bottom shelf, so I sat down to read all their labels. The one I got has huge percentages of the RDAs of the very things I need: iron, copper, zinc, and B vitamins, and all for 50 calories a serving (2 tablespoons!) I was so excited! Needless to say, I bought a jar. Last night I put it on broccoli and it was pretty good, vaguely like parmesean cheese. Today I put it on my salad.

Then I did a lightning quick search of the archives just now, just to make sure that it wasn't going to cause dementia like tofu.

Another good time ruined. It's brewers yeast you're supposed to get, not nutritional yeast. And no, this is not some sort of "That's just what they call it in Canada" thing. They're two totally different products.

Blergh. I got the one I got because it had higher percentages of the RDAs for the stuff I need, but my super quick search seems to indicate that there's something bad about it. I'll have to spend more time searching when I can. In the meantime, I wonder if I can use the stuff I already have, and if so, can I count it in my nutrient table? It sounds like it might actually block absorption of B12, but I am not quite sure. Must read further.

You know, I started this blog in part to prove that a non-scientist can do CRON just as well as the people who really understand this stuff, but at moments like this, I feel like I am proving the exact opposite!

At least my experience with my nutritional software good. It's funny... when people make nasty comments about how CR can't be healthy (which is the silliest thing on earth, since CR makes you live longer by making you extremely healthy!) I am going to offer to do their nutritional analysis on my software. People have no idea how little nutrition they're getting in their pathetic American diets. Just eating more calories won't make you healthy... quite the opposite! The trick is to eat consciously, so that you get the max nutrition for the minimum calories, with the maximum satisfaction.

Today has been light, since I packed a lot of food but got a dinner inviation from some friends who have a great house with a patio and a little pond and a gorgeous black cat named Mr. Kitty. They're getting into cooking lighter and vegetarian, and they know I like that kind of food. So I have so far today eaten:

whey shake 160
eggwhite scramble 140
lettuce 20
fat free dressing 20
cottage cheese 90

We're having stuffed eggplant for dinner, and they always serve a delicious green salad with tomatoes and an olive oil based dressing, so I figure I'll be set with more veggies and fat when I eat there. I'm already at goal for protein for the day. See, you can accept last minute invitations and still do CR!

Woke up at 4:30 am this morning, even though I didn't have to. One of the side effects of my work is that I am permanently set on an early schedule. So I frequently wake up before five am and just get up. Did my four mile walk, got my coffee, enjoyed listening to my horrible collection of 80's pop on tapes. Am now blasting Sheryl Crow's first popular album into my ears.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger fruitydog said…

    hi april,
    dont know if you got my message a week ago, but i mentioned how my recent adding nutritional yeast
    to my daily menu had not only brought all my numbers up but that i was feeling a LOT stronger. body, mind and
    heart. i used to eat it years ago as a strict vegan
    but forgot it when i got into fruitarianism. wow it was
    so good on popcorn. anyway im glad its back. so good on steamed veggies. i can't imagine anything harmful about it, so please keep me posted. any info yay or nay on the braggs?

     
  • At 4:04 AM, Blogger Willie said…

    Girl, you are doing it fine! But I think you are a bit rational-minded, what tends to bear you confused sailing away the CR files.

    The issue is easy; you -as yourself have realised- don't have to be an scholar or scientific. You only have to fill those damn 1000 kcal with natural food, as vegetables, fruits, lean meats and some fat in the form of nuts/seeds/olives/avocados. That's all: RDAs go by themselves. No more human-grown food: extracted yeasts, bottled egg whites, destilled whey stuff or that cotagge skimmed cheese. Your problem is you are trying to compose your meals by adding parts of separated elements, while all you have to do is to eat current natural (not saying specifically organic ones) foods.

    Blah! I'm preaching ;-)

    Luck, friend.

     
  • At 4:12 AM, Blogger Willie said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4:17 AM, Blogger Willie said…

    Sorry again!!!!! The link was cutted off, I don't know why, so I will write it here: http://croning.blogspot.com/2004/08/again-at-home.html with no HTML language for avoiding new errors.

    Be happy, and forget about my stickiness! ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home