April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Saturday, August 21, 2004

That's the Healthiest One! NOT!

Now I just want to start out by saying that the interaction I am about to describe did *not* end in me giving a lecture on the importance of good fats to an innocent employee at the Farmers' Market.

So I was at the Farmers' Market this morning (having already been up since four and done a shift change at the hospital) and I was looking at the locally made salad dressings on one of the stands. I was reading the Vidalia Onion Vinegarette, looking always for a salad dressing that could help me get my higher percentage of fat without saying ICK! So I'm reading the ingredients. One was based on canola oil, but it had high fructose corn syrup in it, and I don't need that. The Vidalia Onion Vinegarette had just onions and spices and such, so it looked good, but it didn't list an oil. So I inquired of the employee who was personing the stand, and he said, "Oh, that one doesn't have any oil. It's the healthiest one we sell here."

I thought, dude, you are so lost in the high carb darkness.

I kept these thoughts to myself. Not everyone needs to hear about it.

So anyway, I am just going to have to make my own stupid salad dressing. I'm wasting cals on fat free dressings, and I am not getting near my fat target. I have great olive oils now (thanks, friend who gave me oil and vinegar for my birthday!) and I have always had great vinegar. In fact, you can just call me Vinegar Girl. So I will make my own, and I will put it on my salad, and I will eat it, and I will like it.

I haven't eaten anything yet today... these even earlier than usual mornings are throwing off my newly formed breakfast habit. I am going out tonight, I think, with friends from college including Myrna Perez and an old friend of mine whose mom makes the best Ethiopian or is it Aritrian food I've ever had, but I want to get all my nutrition done before then so I can just eat a tossed salad and not worry about searching the menu for any nutrient I might actually need.

I saw some beet greens this morning and thought about buying them. They were, as you might suspect, attached to beets. But I wasn't sure exactly what one is supposed to do with them. Suggestions?

What are you guys up to today? Going out? Working? Mowing the lawn? Is it warm where you are? It's very hot here. I'm enjoying the increased heat tolerance that CR seems to give one. I'm still glad that I have no lawn to mow, no hedges to trim. I can't imagine a world in which I would ever want to do yard work. What that has to do with CR... nothing.

What's as good way to get more iron and calcium from a vegetarian diet? You know, bloggie friends, the Comment function does work. Suggest! Tell me what you're doing! Hold up your end of the conversation! Just don't make fun of me too much for my stupid mistakes. Someday, when I've designed my ideal diet and I'm getting my RDA's every day and I'm brave enough to post to the main CR list, I'll be able to laugh about these days, but not quite yet, when Satan's pretzels are still eyeing me from the corner of the room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home