April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Sunday, August 22, 2004

What Should I Wear to Your Funeral?

Wow, I was tired when I wrote last night!

It may seem a bit morbid or perhaps just uncordial to boast in my blog that I will look smashing at your funeral.

It was inspired by Liza May's post "A Few Tips" that talked about how men are sometimes competitive about CR in the beginning, where she advised that we compete as to how healthy we can be, or how long we can live. I found myself identifying more with the men she talked about than the women. I'm often competitive, though more against myself, not others. And I'm definitely drawn to things that are extreme by their very nature... see the recent post regarding CR rants. It would be silly for me or anyone to compete in terms of how many calories we can consume, since that varies based on stuff we can't control like how tall we are (I have noticed that alas, CR does not make one taller. Didn't someone promise me it would? I am still 5' 2"!) I can see myself eventually competing along the lines of "I can get better nutrition in my diet in fewer calories and less time with better tasting food than you can, nah-nah-na-nah-na!" but that project while in progress is taking time, and I do have to work, take care of family and friends, pack my apartment to move in three weeks yikes! etc... all sorts of things that take away from discovering the meaning of iron in my life. So I'm going to channel my competitive energies into seeing who can live the longest. It's a nice counterbalance to the workaholic nurturing side of my personality that is constantly propelling me to not do things for myself in order to take care of others, or to just do what I perceive others want me to do.

Back on track today with the protein... have eaten my whey shake as well as an eggwhite scramble. I continue to derive tremendous pleasure from the making of the eggwhite scramble. I could make a killer CRON Sunday brunch with eggwhite omlets with broccoli and asparagus and a good salad and kiwis and... but this is an irrelevant exercise in pointless fantasy, because all CR folks besides my one local CR friend are so far away! Perhaps Liza and Mary will have to drive through Philly on their way from DC to New York someday and I can make them food! Truly, one of my greatest pleasures in life is cooking for others, and combining that with the maximal nutrition packed into minimal calories while tasting great and being beautifully presented sounds like the ultimate fun game. Once I got really good at that, I could play games where I try to build meals around specific themes, like orange and black for Halloween. Sounds like a meal that would be high in Vitamin C and beta carotene. Are there any good nutrients in licorice? Does anyone actually like that stuff? Well, black beans are black. I can't believe I am allowing myself to play out this game in my head when I should be working, cleaning the house, or packing my closets.

I got a question the other day from a friend about how I have the discipline to write every day. To be honest (and my fortune from last night says I am!) it takes discipline for me to write as little as I do. Writing is an outlet for the chaos in my head, that before I started writing sometimes seemed like it would explode. I've always loved to write, and as a child I wanted to be a writer, before I realized that I was a professional people person. Writing the blog is so much fun for me that I would do it even more if I didn't have other responsibilities in my life. And I'm very grateful to those of you who tune in day after day.

Speaking of, I got a comment yesterday from someone asking if I would like to correspond, and yes, I would love to correspond, write me as aprilsmith12, located at yahoo. When you comment it doesn't tell me who you are so I can't respond to your email directly from my blogspot acct. I am a very good writer back, and I mean no offense to those who are not, but someone has to knit together the social fabric of the world, so it may as well be me. As I said, I've always been the organizer of the birthday parties, the girl who made the computer geeks hang out with the Yale Political Union hacks (okay, so my 21st birthday party was a little awkward with those two crowds in the same room, but the food was good, right?), etc. I found the mix tape I made for that party when I was packing a closet. It's still a great tape! The years I spent as a computer chick were two of the most fun years I've ever had, even though I frequently wanted to punch my hand through the monitor screen in frustration. As I have said before, in a contest between which is easier for me, eating 800 calories a day or programming computers, the 800 will win, easily, any day. I could even eat 800 calories a day with a spoonful of olive oil at bedtime and think it was easier. Sometimes though when I am reading the technical posts on the list I have the same feeling I used to get when I was first learning computer stuff... an almost physical sensation of new pathways being forged in my brain. The nice thing about CRON is that you don't really have to understand it to do it. Sure, it can be argued that you will be more motivated if you understand why, and I enjoy the quest, even when I make stupid mistakes like failing to mulitply 4 by 100 and realize that it's half of 800. But even if I didn't enjoy the quest, it seems clear that by eating the right things in the right amounts, I can get just as much life extension as those who eat the right things in the right amounts and understand every reason why. In my exhaustive searches of the archives, I have yet to come across a post that states that there will be a quiz on August 1, 2073, that I will have to pass before I am allowed to turn 100.

In the meantime, feel free to specify if there's a particular color you would prefer me to wear to your funeral. ; )

1 Comments:

  • At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    why, white, of course.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home