April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Monday, August 23, 2004

What do you mean, you have no vinegar?

That's what I found myself saying today at Panera Bread Company when ordering my salad. They had no vinegar! How can you have no vinegar? No no no. No vinegar. I ate the fat free dressing, raspberry vinegarette. I am not a fan of raspberry vinegarette but it was okay. In future, I will BYOV at Panera. I finally got to sit down for a few minutes after running around all morning, including three trips to the hospital at 6:30 am, 9:30 am, and 12 noon. (For anyone just tuning in, I work with nurses, so I'm at hospitals to meet with them, not because I'm sick.) Cafe salad was mixed greens, tomatoes, red onion, cucumbers, and green peppers. Pretty good. Maybe 50 calories total, most of it in the dressing. Blergh. Why no vinegar?

I was running out the door this am at 5:30 and didn't have time to eat whey shake or make eggwhite scramble. I will probably eat them at dinner, having another of those upside down days when dinner is breakfast. Went to the hospital, then to the office, where I walked in to discover that the fridge was broken so not only could I not refrigerate the cottage cheese pack I brought with me that had been sitting in my car since 5:30 am, I was also witnessing the gradual warming of the one I had left in there over the weekend. I ate both packs quick to keep them from dying, for a total of 180 calories and 22 g protein. That and the cafe salad are all I've had to eat today so far. I think dinner will have to be big protein. I love my eggwhites so much. And I bought new olives yesterday. I can imagine my dinner being an eggwhite scramble, olives, and a four ounce glass of red wine for dessert. It's not perfect, I know, but from where I started, it's pretty darned good.

Last night when I got home I drank my nightly four ounce glass of wine and ate a cup of Imagine portobello mushroom soup. Yesterday was a pretty low calorie day, okay on protein thanks to the scramble and the whey shake, but oddly enough, low on vegetables, since I ate none other than the spinich salad at 5 ish. Appetite still very low. It's all the excitement... work is picking up in a most fantastic way, and good stress, just like bad stress, makes me less hungry. My weight however was holding steady at 113 this morning, which it has been all week, so I'm okay for now. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down a little tomorrow morning since I think I was holding water weight due to my two walks yesterday... I notice that when I do the eight miles, my weight tends to go up a touch, and I assume it's water. But since I've been hovering at 113 for awhile now, if it goes down a tiny bit I won't be alarmed. Weight loss is going to happen on CR, so it's not a bad thing in and of itself. The bad thing, as I understand it, is to lose weight too fast. I am still within the normal range of weights for my height, and I suspect that with more CR, I will drop out of normal at some point in the next few months. (NOTE TO JG: I know the "dropping out of normal" ship has already sailed for me in every other aspect of my life!)

I wore my old big black suit today... chickened out at the last minute on wearing one of my new size two cute suits. I was afraid of looking too young and inconsequential. Just being thin makes people think you're younger, since obesity seems to be the norm among people over thirty in North America. I'll wear one of the suits to the big meeting I have Monday, though, if not before then. In my job, looking young is not an advantage, it is actively a disadvantage. I wonder how other CR folk who look very young deal with it.

More running around to be done. Work is going to be very busy for the forseeable future, but I'll find a way to keep you up to date.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home