April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Thursday, August 05, 2004

Whey.

Very, very stressful morning, full of unexpected chaos that I can not control (how redundant... of course chaos is something I can not control.) Anyway, I'm glad I started my day with my new protein getting scheme.

I decided that I can't just mess around with this protein thing and expect to get it all during the day if I don't get a head start first thing in the am. So I took a scoop of the whey powder (80 cals, 20 grams of protein), a cup of skim milk (80 cals, 8 grams of protein), and a cube of ice (no cals, no protein, no kidding) and blended them in the blender. I have no idea what it tasted like because I made every effort not to taste it. I left out the berries because a) they add calories b) they make it hard to drink without tasting c) they don't seem to help the taste d) they have little seeds that make me wonder all day if there are seeds in my teeth e) I have enough fruit in my diet already. So 160 calories and 28 grams of protein later, I am doing well. I have a feeling of accomplishment having gotten that much protein in before leaving the house. The only thing that would improve the concoction is to drink it with a straw so as to minimize the tasting even further. I will pick up straws today. I am thinking of it more as protein medicine than as food, and I think that will work out just fine.

Last night's dinner was a grand finale to the Birthday Festival of 2004. I ate a lot, it was delicious, and now the dragon is ready to go back into his cave for a long, long time. Perhaps I will visit him from time to time, but I think he'll be okay without me for the forseeable future.

Big meeting at the office today, and we're ordering in from Panera Bread Company for lunch. I called to get nutrition info! The staff person was really helpful and looked up all the items I asked about. I am having Low-fat Italian Vegetable Soup for 2 grams of protein and 80 calories, and a cafe salad, which is just lettuce, tomato, green pepper, red onion. They didn't have a cal count on that without the dressing (with the dressing it's 400 calories!) and of course I'm not having the dressing (I'll get my fats in stuff I like, thank you, not oily dressing that I didn't make myself) so I can figure it out when I see how big it is. I also have an egg, cottage cheese, and my vegetable monster soup for 216.7 calories in the fridge, since I'll be at work till about nine tonight (going to be back to my regularly scheduled 12 hour or more days soon, which is actually good, it's a good thing when it's busy around here) so I can have the soup for dinner. I will be low in fat for the day, but I have olives at home that I can have for bedtime treat. I know I'm still getting the protein, filling in the rest with carbs, then throwing a touch of fat on top, which is not Zone ideal by any wild stretch of the imagination (and don't even get me started on meal spacing!) but I'm making progress, and remember, it's CALORIES that count! Besides, this eating breakfast thing might make me smart enough to figure it out.

Thanks for all the comments, Blogfriends! I can't wait to see what you have to say about my adventures in whey. Did you guys catch the post to the CR list about low fat diets? I can't wait till MR gets back to see what he has to say about it.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There Must Be A Better Whey! How about adding a few fresh blueberries to your whey concoction? That should improve the taste without adding many calories or seeds (watch out for those little stems, though -- they wouldn't look good in your teeth, either). You may have mentioned this and I missed it, but where do you get your whey powder? Have you compared its nutritional value to the Kirkland pea protein powder that Dean Pomerleau uses? It's a good idea to get a fair amount of protein at breakfast time, particularly if you have to eat restaurant food often. It can be difficult to find a good source of protein on a salad bar, especially if you want to avoid the ubiquitous mercury-laden tunafish. Howard

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Blogger fruitydog said…

    i'd like to think you get even a LITTLE pleasure in every calorie. how about just even 1/4-1/3 frozen banana in the shake? for about 25 - 33 cals.

    if you don't decide to separate eggs, seek deeper.
    there is an eggwhite product out there with no additives
    or colorings. i prefer it myself.

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The fruit ship, clearly, has already sailed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home