April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

An Excellent Day, Brought to You By Brewers Yeast

Yesterday was a good day. I find it so entertaining to add my brewers yeast in on DWIDP and watch my RDA %'s jump! Fun fun fun! Okay, so it's not everyone's idea of a good time, but it really makes me happy. And when I see Zone like P:F:C ratios jumping out at me from the bottom of the DWIDP screen, I get really really excited.

Yesterday was a touch low on protein and calcium, (58 g protein and 58% RDA of calcium) but overall quite good, and instead of filling in with carbs, I appeared to have filled in with fat. That's the nuts talking... both pecans and walnuts yesterday. So not quite Zoned, but a far cry from the days of the high carb darkness.

I skipped breakfast on my way back to the office yesterday morning ... wasn't feeling very hungry and didn't want to take the time to stop into the Woodlands restaurant for an eggwhite omlet, even though it's free. By lunch, I was hungry, so I went up to the grocery store on the corner and made a salad from their lovey salad bar, with romaine, spinach, tomatoes, peppers, onions, about 120 of cottage cheese, about 100 of olives, and just a sprinkling of walnuts. Very satisfying lunch. Skipped the olive oil and just had fat free dressing since there was fat in the olives and walnuts.

Then I got home and drank a glass and a half of red wine with VLC, who had come over to visit the cat. Kieffer sat in his basket (he has his own basket) while VLC and I read the label on my brewers yeast and chatted about food. She was craving nuts and seeds, and was planning to make a strawberry and sunflower seed dish for dinner. I'm always telling VLC that she's such a comfort to me in my old age (as an organizer whose been doing this work for almost ten years, I am ancient!)... she loves red wine, brewers yeast, and talking about food.

I did a couple more hours worth of work calls, and ate a few pecans between calls. Then my mom came over for dinner. I made free range chicken broth soup with brewers yeast, to which I added a half bag of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, followed by a can of diced tomatoes and a bag of fresh spinach that my mom had brought over. It was a wonderful soup for a chilly night, very comforting. I was exhausted from my travels so I went to bed early.

This morning I was late getting up, so I ran out the door without breakfast. However, I did bring one of those giant packs of fat free cottage cheese for lunch, so that was 42 grams of protein and 70% of the RDA of calcium at lunch in 280 calories. With tabasco, of course. I also ate a salad of spinach, romaine, celery, tomatoes, and red onions with a dab of fat free dressing. I bought almonds at the store this morning but left them in the car, so I'll have to eat those later.

Tonight, as is rapidly becoming traditional, I plan to mix up some brewers yeast in free range organic chicken broth and stir in whatever vegetables I happen to fancy. I may stop at the Asian produce store on my way home... I've been avoiding it because I fear it may become an addiction... I can get a little crazy in a produce store, and if I spend all my money on exotic produce, I'll have none left to buy the entirely new wardrobe that I now need.

Speaking of new clothes... I know what you mean Mary, it's a jungle out there! Banana Republic has a great size 0, and an Ann Taylor size 2 often fits me. All my old clothes are falling off me, even my "thin" clothes from times in the past when I had been thin but not as thin as I am now. Even my feet are shrinking. My rings are loose on my fingers. I did discover an amazing sale on cashmere sweaters at Target... $38 each, I kid you not. Amazing! Very soft and so so warm! I bought one and wore it yesterday, in a dark purple, but now I may go back and buy them in all the colors because when I wore the sweater, it was the first time in awhile that I hadn't been cold all day. I didn't even need to borrow VLC's office space heater! And they're soooo soft. Cashmere... the perfect gift for the CR'd in your life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home