April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Saturday, October 23, 2004

Bizarre Protein Cravings

The moral of this story is, eat your eggwhites, little ones! Else, all hell will break lose!

I didn't have breakfast in an effort to conserve calories for the nice lunch out. And lunch out was nice... crab soup, baked brie that I shared with the other two co-workers, and a roasted peach with grilled shrimp that I ordered with dressing on the side but they put the dressing on it anyway and I didn't have the heart to send it back. The meal was delicious and I was very full, so I wasn't planning to eat much of anything at night. When I got home, I drank my brewers yeast and broth soup in an attempt to just fill in any nutrients I might have missed. Then after cuddling a cat for awhile, I sat down to read the New Yorker (which is the only periodical my cat does not seem to want to eat) and I fell asleep for a little while, no doubt due to the accumulated exhaustion of the last few weeks.

When I woke up about half an hour later, I was starving! And I wanted protein! Like wild, crazy protein craving, the kind I used to have for carbs. I tell you, if an entire order of french fries had danced by me, I would have passed it up in favor of protein food. So I made an eggwhite scramble, the one I guess I should have had for breakfast. Still hungry. Searching around the house, I had very few strong protein sources, so in desperation I turned to a can of tuna I had really purchased for the cat. I opened it, and of course had to give the cat some, else I would have been clawed to death, so I probably ate about 120 calories worth of tuna, with the cat eating about 20, mostly in the juice. I put mustard on it, which is how my mom used to make it when I was little, with mustard and hot dog relish. It's quite good really. Not too terribly high calorie and good protein, but canned tuna is not supposed to be good for one so I'd better not do that often! The entire day was no doubt drastically over target because I had 400+ after I got home and I'm sure the lunch was scary in numbers of calories. I've been hungry lately! I think now that all the extra weight has come off my body is starting to deal with the difference between being a normal person eating a healthy diet and CR. I always suspected that I would be hungrier once I had used up my stored fat. This may make no sense, but it's how I feel.

Today is the bridesmaids dress shopping event, and I would not dare leave the house without my eggwhites!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home