April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Sunday, October 24, 2004

I Did Not Eat That Bug, I Did Not Carry A Watermelon

Hello bloggiefriends, including bugs I did not eat,

I'm back in Wilkes-Barre at the Woodlands, where I've been spending a lot of time on work assignment. Today was a busy day of errands, work, taking care of cats, and then a drive into the mountains for a meeting. I'm staying up here tonight since it's way too late for me to drive home and I have work here tomorrow.

Today was good foodwise... no doubt undereating in an attempt to balance from yesterday's dinner. I had my mother over for a fancy brunch of eggwhites scrambled with red pepper and tomatoes sauteed in garlic olive oil with Texas Pete on top. Yum! I had a latte with skim with breakfast. Later on I made my brewers yeast soup with broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Then I had my yogurt concoction. Now it's late and I'm going to go get a tossed salad with olive oil and vinegar and my little glass of cabernet before heading to bed. Almost picture perfect day... I had my little 100 calories of nuts too! Pecans almost gone... time to buy hazelnuts, as per Dean's suggestion.

In response to some off-blog questions re: the eighties movie reference of the last entry: it's from Dirty Dancing. At the end, the Patrick Swayzee (sp?) character, who has been banished from the rich people's resort for sleeping with the Jennifer Grey character, comes back to take over the final dance party (which would have been really lame without him.) The Jennifer Grey character (whose name is Frances but everyone calls her Baby) is sitting sadly in the corner with her family looking lovely but despairing, when out of nowhere, Patrick Swayzee comes up behind her chair and says, "No one puts Baby in a corner." It's an incredibly stupid, cheesy moment, but I saw it when I was in the sixth grade (double feature with "The Princess Bride") and it imprinted on my brain. I find myself quoting it at the most absurd moments.

"I carried a watermelon" is when she first meets the Patrick Swayzee character (I am now certain that I misspell that actor's name) at the club where all the staff kids hang out and dance. She is overwhelmed by the utter coolness of the gathering, so far removed from her sheltered upbringing, and when she is introduced to the super cool, extremely hot (though not my type) Patrick Swayzee character, she says, in explanation of why she is there, "I carried a watermelon." She had helped his cousin carry fruit up to the clubhouse, you see. He looks at her like she's an idiot and walks away, at which point she says aloud to herself, in perfect eighties Valley Girl tone, "I carried a watermelon?" Like, dude, what a dumb thing to say.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:40 AM, Blogger fruitydog said…

    do you still go on those long walks? what
    are your very little moms stats? age/health/wt/ht.
    what does she eat, being nearly cron.
    it'll be fun watching her too over the years,
    nearly non aging. i'm so glad she supports
    our common sense food ways.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home