April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Living Off the Land -- Ugh

I have only seconds to blog... just got back from the hospital and now have to run around. The cat is sick so I have to get VLC to help me give subcutaneous fluids, since mom is out of town. It takes two people to give the fluids. I wonder if there are any CR friendly veterinarians around here...

Anyway, yesterday was less than optimal, though probably not over target. I ate nothing in the am (I now know that MR is right about breakfast... I always screw up later in the day if I don't eat breakfast) and got no break whatsoever during the am, so by 1 pm when the boxed lunches were circulating at the march and rally in Harrisburg, I was feeling a little shaky. I ate a vegetarian wrap, which was a tortilla filled with cheese, a little lettuce, tomato and onion. It wasn't even good but it filled me up. It was big but I'm not sure how many cals and I don't have time to look up right now.

Went back to the office (2 hour drive each way to Harrisburg) and started making the literally hundreds of calls that we needed to make. At about 6 pm VLC got back.... she had riden the chartered bus with some of our nurses from Philly and they got stuck in traffic. She convinced me that we needed to stop for a salad break so that we wouldn't faint. We ran out to the great grocery store and I filled a plate with romaine, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, onions, and vinegar (no oil due to concerns re: going over target. I know, if I hadn't eaten that wrap with useless carbs, I could have had olive oil or even flax oil, I know I know I know). We ate our salads fast and VLC pointed out that in the time it would take us to make the hundreds of calls, I could probably raise that $23 million. (Apologies to those not on The List for the inside baseball... I don't have time to explain the reference right now) I considered that while chomping on spinach, took a moment to contemplate the difficulties of raising money while dealing with both US and Canadian non-profit laws. Then finished my salad and returned to my actual life. We knocked out most of the calls and I was at the office till about 9:15 pm. Had a cup of green tea... yummy and warm. It is now cold here.

Went to mother's house, fed Amber and petted him, ate a matzoh (90 cals) with roasted red pepper hummus (50 cals) and a beer (110) that was in her fridge. Went home, went to bed. Woke up in the middle of the night to the cat throwing up. Stayed awake to pet said cat. Got up at 5 am to go to the hospital for shift change. Wow, it was cold!

Today will be nutty... back to negotiations after I get 150 cc's of fluids into my cat.

Gonna eat my eggwhites today no matter what.

That sounds oddly like a gospel song.

Anyway, I'm going to eat my eggwhites and tupperware up my yogurt concoction. Between that, some salad, and iced latte with skim, and *hopefully* some steamed vegetables with olive oil and brewers yeast tonight (if I'm out of negotiations before late late late), I should be back to the ON of CRON.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So sorry that Philo is sick.
    Germany is great. I'm waiting in the Internet cafe for a student.
    VSM

     

Post a Comment

<< Home