April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

If You Eat the Calories Late Enough in the Day, Do They Count as the Next Day?

Yesterday was one of those late late days. I had dinner with my old friend at one of the only, or perhaps the only, non-smoking bars in Philadelphia. There was basically nothing CR friendly on the menu, so I ate my second tossed salad of the day with vinegar. Two Beck's Octoberfest beers... they were quite good. I also ate four bites of the carrot cake he ordered for dessert. My old boss is one of those people who can eat everything in site and never gain weight... one of those people for whom CR would probably be miserable. He was the second person whom I witnessed eating a chicken cheesesteak yesterday. The first was my current boss, who ate one at lunch. Leading one to conclude that I only work for people who eat chicken cheesesteaks.

Then I dropped him off at the train station and went back to negotiations. By this time I was getting hungry, and as the night began to wear on I nibbled on some of the snacks that were there. 10 potato chips for 70 calories, 7 pretzel sticks for 25 calories (the little fat free kind), some broccoli and carrots with a little bit of vegetable dip, and a granola bar for 190 calories. The night wore on and eventually at about 10:00 it was decided that we would order pizzas. I went down to wait for the pizzas, and they didn't show up till 11 pm. At that point, negotiations were over, and the group of us who remained ordered glasses of wine and ate the pizza. I had one slice and a glass of red. Without those calories, I would have been at or just over target for the day. With those calories, I was over, but it seems like they were consumed so late in the day that I can count them as today, assuming that I work them into my totals and don't go over target today.

I finally got home at about quarter after midnight, after feeding my little brother and giving him a quick cuddle on the floor. (For those of you who are just joining us, my "little brother" is a white and orange tabby cat named Amber, whom I am babysitting while my mother is travelling in Germany. Hi Mom... I got the egg whites. If you keep saying that there are All Whites in the fridge, people will think you're racist.)

Listened to the CD of my old boss' band that he gave me. Petted my cat, who was annoyed that I was out so late. I reminded him that while I work long hours, that keeps the roof over his little kitty head.

This morning I was up at 5 am again to get ready for the march in Harrisburg. Then back to the office to finish a zillion phone calls. Haven't eaten yet... it's too early and too soon after the pizza.

Yesterday was a good example of how hard it is to get your ON on the run, or as Kenton would say, "living off the land" instead of bringing your own food. I hope to do better today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home