April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Thursday, September 30, 2004

This Time I Really Think I'm In Love

Great song by John Cougar, before he became John Cougar Mellancamp, long before he became John Mellancamp, which is what I suppose he was in the first place, before he picked a bizarre stage name evocative of large cats.

And the title of today's post because it's what I was listening to as I made my brewers yeast treat last night. I'd have to say, in as much as one can have strong feelings about a food (and if you're reading this, you do), brewers yeast is the new love of my life.

Now anyone who has been following the blog for awhile knows that I go through these phases. I get crazy about a food, thinking it solves my nutritional problems, and then I find out there's something wrong with it. My most successful long term relationship has been with eggwhites, which happily provided 29 grams of protein this morning and 140 calories as my breakfast.

I'll admit, I opened the can of Lewis Labs brewers yeast with a touch of trepidation. First, it's the kind of can on which I have frequently cut my finger. Second, how would it taste? Would it make my cat sneeze?

I decided the safest thing to do would be to make a cup of vegetable broth (30 cals) and stir it up in there. If I didn't like it, I could either chug it or pour it out, but not much food would be wasted, and not many calories either.

So I mixed a tablespoon, which is half a serving and 58 calories, into my veggie broth.

And I loved it! It tastes a lot like miso soup, which is one of my favorites. It's a high sodium way to ingest brewers yeast, but it was a good start, and I am a fan of hot, savory salty things, so I really enjoyed it.

Drank my brewers yeast soup, drank my Walford sized glass of red wine, talked on the phone about some work stuff, read a little with the cat (the cat as you know loves to read, and also loves to eat paper.) Fell asleep on the couch for about half an hour, woke up really hungry.

So I ate about 70 calories of baby carrots (judging by the estimates on the bag) covered with 60 calories worth of olive oil, lemon herb flavor, with red wine vinegar, for a total of 130 calories. It's times like that when I'm glad I don't have grape nuts in the house. Besides, I needed to eat something orange to maintain my red hair. Everyone knows that red heads have special nutritional needs.

Total for yesterday, 907. And while the nutrition would be even better had I eaten a whole, not half, serving of brewers yeast, it looks really good. Yea!

Today I woke up feeling great, and as I had hoped, I was hungry! Eating very little at night really helps me sleep. I ate my eggwhites for breakfast. Today I have events all over the eastern part of the state, so lots of running hither and thither as usual. This is why it's good that my car gets great gas mileage, in addition to all the environmental factors. VLC is riding with me to one event, then we are going to stop by my apartment (which as you know is right next to the office, where we have to end up) for lunch. I have some gorgeous crowns of broccoli, grape tomatoes, red pepper, the usual. We can steam them up fast, eat a healthy lunch, and save money by not going out for lunch, and due to the convenient location of my apartment, take no more time than we would if we stopped for lunch while on the road. That's why I moved here.

Then tonight we have the fundraiser... we've already discussed our vegetable tray strategy. It's great to have a co-worker who is so CR friendly. It really makes life easier when you spend a lot of time with someone who also seeks out healthy food and can appreciate a really good eggwhite omlet.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    stick to your egg whites, Lil' Missy, the brewers yeast belongs to ME! (recipe for a CR love triangle? lol) How can you possibly care as much for my love, the brewers yeast, ~ it's no secret that you don't even eat it off the spoon ;-) k

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    stick to your egg whites, Lil' Missy, the brewers yeast belongs to ME! (recipe for a CR love triangle? lol) How can you possibly care as much for my love, the brewers yeast, ~ it's no secret that you don't even eat it off the spoon ;-) k

     

Post a Comment

<< Home