April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Sunday, October 10, 2004

You Girls Are Flawless!

"I'd go straight for any one of you!"

So said a guy who was handing out leaflets at the Philly Outfest, as VLC, Sister of VLC, and I walked by. We wandered through the festival as we were walking from the restaurant where we met for brunch to the train. I guess it's pretty obvious that we're straight, but it was a very nice compliment.

If I ever needed a reason for doing CR, it is this: to keep guys saying this to me until I am way over 100.

The last two days have been incredibly exciting, and I am nowhere near caught up on rest, so I have been going through everything in a bit of a blur. I went up to NYC tomorrow to meet with the NY chapter of the CR Society. It was great to meet everyone, especially Paul McGlothlin and Meredith Averill. They had some fascinating things to say, and they are very cute together. I'd have to admit to a moment of being jealous of Meredith when I watched Paul quiz the waitress about how the vegetables were cooked. It's not easy to find a man who wants his vegetables steamed, not fried! Of course, they're both so beautiful and fabulous that they're just perfect for each other. I learned a lot about the 18 hour a day fasting that they've been doing, and I'm contemplating trying it for myself. I can't wait to see Paul's presentation at the conference.

Yesterday I ate very little: just some steamed veggies and a steamed basil roll at Zen Palate, where we met for the CR society meeting, followed by an almond oat bar for 200 calories at Penn Station as I was waiting for my train home. At least it had 11 grams of protein. When I got home I was starving, so I ate a salad of leftover greens with olive oil dressing, totaling about 200 cals, plus the rest of the olive oil tapenade for approx 200 (but I'm not sure on that number). I had a glass of red wine at a bar in NYC on my way back to the train for about 100. So the day's total was probably around 900 - 1000. My weight held steady at 108 this morning. I finally unpacked my scale a few days ago... I hadn't weighed myself in awhile and wasn't sure what to expect. I think it's good that I am holding steady. During the move, I burned a lot of extra cals through exercise, but I also ate a little more with all those over target days. This last week, I've eaten crazy bad food, but I've stayed roughly within my target range. I think it's probably healthier if I stay at or about the same weight, not fluctuating wildly, so I am feeling pretty good about staying at 108.

And if Paul and Meredith are any indication of what long term CR does for a person, I am in for the long term! They both looked great, and had this incredibly magnetic energy that just makes you want to be around them. I am so glad they live so close to me!

Today I slept in a bit... till 7:30, which is very late for me. I didn't get home last night until about 1 am. I met up with VLC and her sister who is visiting from DC. We had brunch at this great Spanish restaurant, and I ate about half of a shrimp soup and about half of a tossed salad with avocados. I ate the oil based dressing, and I drank a Bloody Mary, so it was a pretty high calorie meal, though low on volume. I figure the shrimp were good for protein. I also drank a cafe au lait with skim, yielding 8 grams of protein at 80 calories and 30% of the RDA for calcium. I've really let calcium go over the last week, and I need to pay more attention to it.

Tonight I am cooking a CR meal for my mom, and I can't wait to get back to my wok and my veggies and my brewers yeast. Then off for a week of travel, crazy work, etc. Will my life ever calm down?

Possible, but I doubt it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home