April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Funny It's Just Like a Scene Out of Voltaire

Twisting Out of Sight...

Line from Duran Duran's "Last Chance on the Stairway," a song which I consistently play on my trips to Pittsburgh and back. It's on a tape I made my sophomore year in college, a tape called "Blue Eyes and Innocence." From my days as a computer geek-ette. Last chance on the stairway indeed.

As I drove the long, straight narrow northwestward line from Philly to Pittsburgh today, I felt a sense of calm clarity that the last few weeks have lacked. More on that later.

Meanwhile, I ate:

-- no breakfast, I know, I am going to hell

-- yogurt that I picked up at a turnpike stop, plus a latte with skim (hey, calcium!)

-- free fruit at hotel: apple, banana

-- food at meeting with nurses: order of cottage cheese, at least 120 cals

-- dinner: salmon with grilled squash, broccoli, tomatoes, red pepper, herb olive oil pesto like sauce

-- glass of cabernet

I have now discovered the ultimate nirvana: wireless internet access. At the Hampton Inn where I stay when on the road out in the western part of the state, they have free wireless access if you bring your laptop. Now I have this, and I can't describe to you the joy of checking my email in my nightgown. For years, I have had to run to the office or to Kinkos (The horror of Kinko's deserves its own entry) to check my email. To have internet access right by my bed is a revolution indeed.

Tomorrow is the office holiday party. More on that later.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I guess everyone deserves freedom of speech but it's one thing if you want to be self-destructive with food, it's another if you glorify it over the internet. If you want to write a blog, why does it have to be about food? You obviously have a lot more going on than food yet it consumes you and that really takes away from your other qualities. It really bothers me that people with eating disorders use the internet to promote destructive eating. You're a socially conscious woman and yet you're totally sucked into the world of women losing their power by getting sick from inadequate eating.

     
  • At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Negative Commenter" wrote:

    "It really bothers me that people with eating disorders use the internet to promote destructive eating."

    What exactly is destructive about her eating, except where she falls off the wagon?

    " You're a socially conscious woman and yet you're totally sucked into the world of women losing their power by getting sick from inadequate eating."

    Are you reading ANYTHING April writes, or just imposing your own prejudices as soon as she says "Calories"? April has made it clear that she's in the peak of her physical and -- more importantly to her -- psychological vitality.

    -Michael

     

Post a Comment

<< Home