April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

How Do You Do That?

It's before nine am, and I've already gotten questions about how I'm going to get most of my RDA's of everything in under 800 calories. Well, here's my quick and easy weekday way to get that done:

breakfast:

120 calories cottage cheese (yes, with hot sauce)

lunch:

brewers yeast and vegetable soup
now here's a quick and easy weekday trick: I put the two tablespoons of brewers yeast in the bottom of a tupperware, pour in half the bag of frozen vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots) and then pour free range organic chicken broth on top. I don't even heat it -- I just leave it cold until I'm ready to microwave it for lunch

vaguely Indian yogurt concoction:
I take 120 cals (that's one cup) of fat free plain yogurt, Dannon brand, and mix it with the juice of half a lemon, some Burmese curry powder (out of one of those spice mix shakers), garlic powder, and some sea salt. very savory and yummy, tons of calcium

afternoon snack:

iced latte with skim milk (more calcium, more protein)

dinner:

200 calories of hazelnuts
romaine lettuce with 1 teaspoon olive oil and vinegar

(not much for dinner, I know, but I feel better when I eat less at night.)

808 calories. P:F:C = 33:32:35 Over 100% of the RDA of everything except:
Copper: 85%, Iron: 36%, Manganese: 66%, Zinc: 44%

And nothing took more than five minutes to prepare.

I'm skipping my 4 oz glass of red wine tonight since I had a drink after the party last night. Enough resveratrol for now.

So that's how I do it, and I won't be hungry because the foods are so filling, especially the nuts at night. Upping my protein has completely changed my hunger -- during all those years of high carb darkness, I was hungry all the time. I ate constantly, and I stayed thin (though not nearly as thin as I am now), but I was constantly thinking about food. Now I eat at normal meal times and I don't feel the need to snack. Sure, I'm hungry when lunch time rolls around, but it's not painful hunger, and once I've eaten my lunch I'm quite satisfied. I like going to bed just a tiny bit hungry -- as the Black Moth has pointed out, one seems to sleep better when hungry.

There. Now you know how it's done. And look at those P:F:C ratios. No, it's not per meal, but over the course of the day it's very good.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, April, this is Michael, your NYC CR buddy. I'm just wondering if 39% iron isn't too low. If you did this on a regular basis, it could lead to anemia, no? You might want to check Dean Pomerleau's posts on anemia in the archives for reference.

    Not really anonymous: michaeloneill@nyc.rr.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home