April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

I Do Not Hate Mice!

This morning I checked my email to discover that not one but two friends had sent me a link to this article in The Onion http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4049&n=1. "World's Scientists Admit They Just Don't Like Mice." I wonder if every scientist in the world who does any kind of work with mice found that article in his or her inbox this morning. If I hated mice, I would just feed them to my cat, instead of spending $85/month on a prize that encourages scientists to treat mice very, very well. (Hey, go click on www.mprize.org and do your part to find the real solution!)

Last night's holiday party was amusing enough... it was one of those college alumni events, and I got the sense that everyone there was networking. Luckily, I enjoy talking to people I don't know, so I had a good time and met some interesting folks.

So what did I eat? Well, it was one of those not great ON days, unfortunately. The only food at the party was cheese and crackers and chips and guacamole, and I was starving having eaten only about 250 calories during the day, so I ate quite a bit of that. Then I went for a drink afterwards with my friend the biostatistician and we shared some hummus and pita. Anyone who saw me eat last night would be surprised that I'm doing CR. It's just that my calories on normal days are so low that I maintain a low weight (holding steady between 104 - 106) and a low weekly calorie average, even though I have days when I eat not particularly CR friendly foods. Today will be another low tech weekday, and if I eat the food I've packed, I'll get almost 100% everything on about 800 calories. I tend to bounce back naturally after a high calorie day, since I'm just less hungry the next day. I'm so lucky that I'm not hungry all that often... I was just reading email from one of the CR brothers who deals with hunger more than I do. Of course, I keep thinking of taking my calories lower. Holiday time is probably not the best time to do this. I've held steady at 106 - 104 since the conference, and that's the longest period of non-weight loss I've had since I started CR. I think it's good that I'm stabilizing, but it's still just so easy that I think I can do more without compromising the quality of my life. In fact, the lower I go, the happier I am, so I would expect an increase in QOL with a decrease in calories.

More interesting content to come... even I occasionally get bored with my food list content. If you're bored, go back and read "Don't Ever Think That You Can't Change the Past and the Future" until you too are convinced.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home