April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

The Search for the Right Source of Protein

First, I'd like to say thanks to all who have sent comments.  It's really nice to know that I'm not just talking to the air!  You guys are awesome! 

Second, I am feeling much, much better today.  I consumed another cottage cheese (110) before leaving the office last night, mostly because I was suddenly really hungry and had nothing else.  Then I drank another Emergen-C (30 cals) because I was feeling a bit of a cold coming on.  Then I got home and ate two veggie dogs (90 calories total, 18 grams of protein total) and then I chopped up some celery and ate it with about a teaspoon of olive oil with a little vinegar mixed in to cut down on the "ick" factor.  Look at me, trying to get more fat!  More on my fat/carb identity crisis later.  I love celery, so it worked out fine.  By my count I should have been somewhere between 850 and 900 for the day.  I felt much, much better after finally getting to bed early and getting a decent night's sleep. 

All told, yesterday I ate more protein yesterday than I ever have in like eight years.  But it's nowhere near enough.  18 grams in the veggie dogs, 10 in each of the cottage cheeses, right around 23 in the tofu that was in my tofu, tomato and pepper stew, and at most 7 in the tofu that I blended into my green soup.  67.  I need 100, according to veteran CR folk/the archives/my extrapolation based on my lean body mass plus some figures in some old posts.  I have got to find a good protein source.  If I eat too much soy I'll go nuts (to summarize a long search of the archives,) and I can't eat meat.  So... I know there are a lot of vegetarians/vegans in the CR society who get enough protein, and they're boys, so they probably need more than I do.  I'm doing a search for various ways they get protein.  I keep coming up with conflicting ideas, but I'm still working on it. 

What if we paid Dean enough that he could quit his job and spend all his time making salads for the rest of us?  I'd consider moving to Pittsburgh.  I'd even babysit his adoreable children so he could devote his full attention to mixing protein into the salad dressing. 

Today, I ate for lunch:

my tofu, tomato, and green pepper with seseme oil thing: 80 cals
little fruit salad, less than yesterday though the same mix (apricots, cherries, plums and strawberries): only about 150 because I spilled some of it and had to throw it away
1/3 cup of chickpeas: 90 cals
1tomato from a co-worker's garden (thanks, Jerry!): 40
a few sticks of celery with a little Trader Joes' salsa:  max 20, the stuff was all spicy air

440 so far.  I made a yummy soup for 220 with Trader Joe's Harvest Hodgepodge, which include broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, red peppers, mushrooms, onions and waterchestnuts covered with 1 cup of Imagine "Cream" of broccoli soup, but I left it in the fridge.  Dinner, I guess. 

You know, I used to be really tough on people who said they couldn't get used to cooking without fat/oil, but now that I'm trying to cook with fat/oil, I'm realizing how hard it is to break long standing habits.  I just automatically avoid fat, and I have no idea what to do with oil.  I'm making progress, but it's a process. 

Where is my software???  It is still not here.  On Thursday it will be two weeks since I ordered it.  No reply to my email to
sales@walford.com.  I just left a message on their phone.  I am getting desperate.

If you were to design a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet with at least 100 grams of protein a day (but soy no more than twice a week) that got all the RDA's of everything important and had a protein-carb-fat ratio that was Zonish, for a little tiny girl (I am only 5' 1.75") who was perfectly happy at 850 - 950 calories a day, what would you do? 

The first person to answer this question will win a refrigerator magnet!
  

  

  

 




2 Comments:

  • At 11:28 PM, Blogger fruitydog said…

    ................................Cals Fat Carb Prot
    1 C Egg, white only, cooked......162 0 3 ...34
    1 C CottageCheese nonfat........120 0 3 ...26
    1 C Yogurt, plain, nonfat milk...137 0 19 ...14

    2 C Broccoli, cooked..............54 1 10 ... 6
    2 C Chard, cooked.................58 0 12 ... 5

    2 C Lettuce,Romaine, raw..........16 0 3 ... 2
    1 C Blueberries, raw..............81 1 20 ... 1
    2 C Apples.......................130 1 34 ... 0
    .25 C Sesame seeds, raw..........206 18 8 ... 6

    .........................Totals 964 21 112...95

    will this come near what you're looking for?
    it may be what I've been looking for!!!

    sorry for the strange spacing and periods.
    they are no indication of specific meals or
    particular categories. the formatting was tricky.

    cron away! fruitgirl

     
  • At 5:36 AM, Blogger Willie said…

    100 grams of protein on a 900 kcal diet? Are you CRAZY? Such amount means you were eating 400 kcal of protein origin, what translates in 45% energy from protein. That is a killer. Don't try it, please, because there is a threshold you wouldn't want to surpass if you aren't looking for serious health problems. Liver has a máximum capacity for detoxifying excessive nitrogen, and transforming it in urea, a harmless product. Byproducts of using protein for energy are very toxics (Ammonia are one of them), and people living on a very high (40%+) diet die from it. Have you ever heard of "rabbit starvation"? The term referes to trappers of 19th-century who only could find rabbits for eat, and then ended eating a very low-fat/high-protein diet. They got really ill because what I have told you. You can see references in [Speth and Spielmann 1983] and [Cordain et al. 2001].

    70 grams máx would be actually a fair amount for your goal. That is about 31% energy from protein for a 900 kcal objective.

    You decide!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home