April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

A Little Calculating While The Bugs Bit Me

I am so delicious.

Or at least, that's what I hear from the mosquitoes.

Anyway, as I was sitting outside the hospital waiting for nurses from 6:30 to 7:45 this morning, I got bored with the book I was reading and got out my notepad to figure out how many cals from fat and protein I should be getting, and how the day I had packed would match up.

If I want to get 40% carb, 30% protein, and 30% fat, in a 1000 calorie a day diet, the numbers are easy to figure out. Good, because I don't want to be like Barbie and say, "Math is hard!"

How does the food I'd packed for the day stack up?

Today has 835 calories packed, with 391 cals of carbs, 172ish of fat, and 272 of protein. That's 68 g protein.

So I have some calories left to eat when I get home, and it looks like I should just eat olive oil to get enough fat.

Hmmm.

This is really an interesting game.

Last night, I went home and finished out my calories for the day with a small fruit salad of nectarine and apple pieces and a glass of red wine. Just had to light a candle on the altar of High Carb Darkness, I suppose.

Maybe tonight I'll just take a spoonful of olive oil with my tiny glass of red wine and be done with it. I hear that olive oil speeds resveratrol absorption.

Drank my whey shake this morning at 4:30 ... felt great! I actually don't mind it at all now... as they say, you can get used to anything. I enjoy the challenge of making the eggwhite scramble whilst I drink the shake. It's amazing that I don't set myself on fire, really. Actually, it's not, because I have an electric stove, but once I move and have a gas stove, I will have to be more careful.

I have packed:

eggwhite scramble
brussels spouts in stewed tomatoes with balsamic vinegar, oregano and basil (should have put olive oil in it for absorption! perhaps can find some?)
arugula salad with 100 cals of green olives
red pepper slices drizzled with 1 teaspoon toasted garlic olive oil and white balsamic vinegar (look at me! eating fat! pet me on the head!!!)
cottage cheese (I love that stuff.)

I packed crucifer soup too, but I think I will eat it tomorrow. One needs a break from pureed objects. Actually, ask me about my carrot puree. It's amazing, and will be even better with olive oil, now that I have been liberated from the Fat Phobia that ruled my life for so many years.

Today is Very Little Co-Workers' 1 year anniversary of working here! Everyone send her a happy anniversary comment! I bought her flowers... she doesn't like crappy junkfood anymore than I do, so flowers are perfect. (Did I mention that I like flowers too? Yeah, I did. Send to my office, not my house, because my cat eats plants... just in case you ever need to know... which seems unlikely but stranger things have happened... ) I actually had to arrange them pretty, because in my infinite ability to misjudge spatial relationships (and if you think that's funny, watch me parallel park my Geo Prizm) I bought a vase that was too small, so I had to cut the stems and make a little bud arrangement. It's cute, in spite of the fact that I was absent the day they taught flower arranging in high school.

I am trying to figure out how to post my nutritional analysis. It's not pretty like Mary's. I can't figure out how to copy paste the table. Hmmm.

More soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home