April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Day of Eggwhite Love Meets Tragic Ending

At the hands of... an evil breadstick!

Well, not exactly a breadstick, little tiny rod type pretzels from Trader Joes. Just a few of them, but totally unnecessary, empty calories, and seems to have thrown off my blood sugar enough to prompt me to join my regularly scheduled insomnia attack already in progress at 2:30 am. Hadn't had one of those in awhile.

It all began like this: I got home early (7:45 pm which is early for me), made up a dish of yellow Jersey tomatoes, red tomatoes from a co-worker's garden, scallions, seseme oil, and soy sauce with a touch of fresh ground pepper, all snuggled together in the wok. Meant to tupperware it all and bring it to work, but ate a third, so tupperwared the other two thirds into separate containers. 240 cals per container, a whole tablespoon of seseme oil between the three (look at me! eating fat!), and a lot of protein but I don't remember how much because I left the paper I calculated it on at home and remember only the cals. I'll tell you in the morning. I remember it was enough protein to knock out my protein goal for today, in combination with whey shake and eggwhite scramble. So a lot. Anyway, ate that, went overboard on protein for the day total since I left work with 67 grams already in me, but thought it was appropriate since I had been low on protein Sunday and also in honor of Mary's long awaited return. Also ate kiwi, thanks to the kiwi lesson I got from VLC (eat it with a spoon, scooping around the inside like a bowl, instead of attempting to peel), 45 cals. Even with four ounce glass of red wine for dessert, I was at 1030. Very good day!

Then something bad happened. I was informed of some terrible news that turned out to be totally false, but in a panic I rushed to the home of the nearest person I know who has a televison (I haven't had a TV since 1986, I know, I'm a freak) to watch the TV news. Found out that the rumor of disaster was unfounded, but while there ate several bites of the person's tunafish and pretzel rod dinner. Heaven only knows how many calories that had. Ick ick ick. Must not do that again. Am not usually a stress eater... as I have mentioned before, stress, both good and bad, usually makes me lose my appetite. But this time I let the pretzels get me. And it had been such a good day!

Woke up at 2:30 am and knew I couldn't get back to sleep, so I sat up in bed and read _The South Beach Diet_ that a friend of mine had wanted me to read and digest for her. I read pop nutrition books the way a lot of women read trashy magazines. They're fun, they're light and easy to read, you don't really expect to get useful information on how to lead your life from them (though they tend to be on target, in so far as they go. Who can argue with eat more vegetables, or make your bed if you're expecting a gentleman guest?) but you can enjoy them and occasionally learn something new. Reading diet/exercise/disease prevention books has been a hobby of mine for about nine years. So it was fun reading, passed the time, and finally it got light enough for me to go for my four mile walk. Followed that with my whey protein shake, which went down very easily today in one long slurp while I made my eggwhite scramble for later today. I didn't mind the taste at all... or rather, I have perfected the technique of using a straw to avoid taste all together.

Today I have packed:

tomato tofu delicious object (with thanks to The Person At Whom I Yelled For Putting Oil in the Stew in 2000 -- it's his recipe)

salad of arugula, romaine, and scallions

champagne walnut vinegar with five kalamata olives for fat, to put on salad to aid in nutrient absorption as per Mary's recent advice on her blog

eggwhite scramble of course

I think I will eat it in this order, judging from how I felt yesterday:

10:30 ish -- eggwhites

12:30 ish -- lunch with co-workers, eat salad with olive vinegar

3:30 ish or 4 -- tomato tofu

at home: broccoli and cauliflower with a touch of Napa garlic oil for fat and aborption

kiwi

Sound good?

Promise that you won't laugh at the girl who once said she could never do Zone-like meal spacing is now doing it almost inadvertently? Okay, laugh, I can't hear you anyway.




1 Comments:

  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger fruitydog said…

    your tofu, tomato, onion, soy sauce and sesame oil dish
    sounds so yummy.

    how do ya think tomato would be in the eggwhites?
    i usually add chopped onion, celery, parsley and
    spoon hot salsa over after cooking.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home