April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Nut Eating Seventh Day Adventists

Last night went fairly well... actually, it was very pleasant. I finished up with work, went home, poured a nice 4 ounce glass of red (85 calories), got out the CR article I'd been carrying around all day (in case I were to run into someone who had questions about CR or was harassing me about what I was eating... then I could just hand them the article), and I curled up in bed and re-read the article. It was even better the second time. Then I pulled Walford off the shelf for some comforting re-reading of old book to go with my new favorite article. I read some of the chapter about how you should monitor your weight loss, and then I dropped off to sleep.

I woke to the familliar sound of my cat eating a page of the book. I don't know why my cat loves paper. My copy of Walford is really chewed up at this point. So I got up, rescued the book, put it back on the bookshelf, and by this time I was really, really, really hungry. No wonder... I had only eaten 800 calories all day, with almost all of them consumed before 2 pm. No doubt under the influence of a Michael Rae article and recalling Dean's post of earlier in the day about Seventh Day Adventists who eat nuts living longer than those who don't, I set out in search of nuts.

I thought I had walnuts in the house, but apparently I had either already used them all in my last batch of pesto, or else they were too far back in the top shelf for me to reach them (the joys of being under 5'2"... yes, it's great that you can survive on fewer calories. but it's bad that you can't use high shelf space. and it's a silly feeling when you have to ask a tall person to reach things for you. tall people often feel entitled to pet short people on the head, which is only okay if you really like the tall person in question.)

But I did have pecans. While I know the danger of eating something before researching it in the archives, I was really hungry, and it seemed like nuts would be a good thing to eat, especially in the relatively lowfat context of my recent diet. I ate quite a few pecans, about 1/4 cup which the bag says is 210 calories. Maybe a few fewer, but hard to tell when they're whole not squished. So I ended the day right around 1000, which is not too bad. I think eating nuts as my dinner might be a good idea, though perhaps not in such great numbers. They're very satisfying and make me feel vaguely successful in my attempt to eat fat. Easier to eat than oil anyway.

Oh, in case you're wondering what happened to the flax oil, remember that post I made awhile back where I wondered if the archives would come back so I could get an answer to my question about flax oil storage? Well, they did, and my answer made me think that I had killed the bottle by leaving it in the hot car too long while doing errands on the way back from the store. So I threw it out and now have to buy another bottle, which I will keep in the freezer.

This morning I woke up feeling good, except for the fact that my cat woke me up three times in the night to howl incomprehensible cat noises at me. I'm sure this is somehow my fault. I weighed myself, and hello 107.5. I still don't feel all that skinny, and everyone says I don't look anorexic or anything. I think it's because a) I hold my curves, thanks be to god(s) b) the ON part of CRON makes me look so healthy that there's no confusing me with a waifish fashion model c) I'm still wearing a lot of clothes that are too big.

More later... big day of running around, I don't know when I'll have time to write again... am planning to get an eggwhite vegetable omlet from the cafeteria today as did not have time to get eggwhites this am.



2 Comments:

  • At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    we like to see the heroine of this blog succeed; and I'm sure many of us clap our hands together just a little bit inside each time we read the good news & then go out, empowered, in our real worlds and wield our own little successes for that day! pet, pet
    k

     
  • At 5:07 AM, Blogger Willie said…

    April, I eat a lot of nuts and they are a really healthy fat: lots of EFAs, fiber, phytonutrients, antioxidants, and protein too! The trick when CRONing is to eat the whole stuff, not the extracted one; so, if you are going for fat, is far better to try fatty food (nuts, avocado, some seeds, coconuts, cocoa, eggs...) than oils or -worse- junk food.

    By the way, I have updated my blog with a recent blood test; I keep on reading you every day althoug I don't coment your posts; I go on this CRON isue and feel one of you too. You and everybody are welcome to write me.

    Keep on doing so well!

    Good luck, be happy, girl!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home