April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Monday, October 11, 2004

If You're Just Joining Us

Greetings to all returning visitors and an especially warm welcome to all my new readers.

If you're just joining our regularly scheduled program already in progress, a few notes to catch you up:

1) Don't just read the last few days... I've had a rough week or so and it's not a great example of how I usually eat.

2) Feel free to laugh at me when I do silly things... I'm not a scientist, I'm a union organizer, and while I'm learning a lot fast, my knowledge of nutrition is still very limited.

3) There's a lot of CR Society e-mail list inside baseball in my blog. Meaning, I make a lot of little references and jokes that you'll only get if you read the list. So read the list. It will change your life. I don't understand anywhere near all of the posts, but I always laugh at the funny parts.

4) When I started CR, I was 137 pounds and felt terrible. Now I'm 108 and feel great. My rising temp is down to 97.7 (I used to run high) and as long as I stay at or about my calorie target, I have bizarre calming effects from CR that I refer to as my "Zen". It's my favorite side effect so far. I continue to be 5 feet, 1.75 inches tall. CRON hasn't changed that.

5) I struggle daily with the ON part of CRON, and eating less is easier for me than eating right. I have in particular struggled with eating more protein (I target 60 - 70 grams a day now) and more fat, in MUFA form. Protein I'm doing well on, fat is a fight. I was an Ornish worshipping low fat vegan for five years, and an Ornish worshiping lowfat vegetarian for two years before that, so it's been quite a shift. My ideas of what I should eat have been largely influenced by what I read on the List.

6) My favorite entries:

"Priestess of the High Carb Darkness" (JULY)
"Archive Junkie Gets Her Fix, Or: CR Rants" (AUGUST)
"You're Packing a Suitcase for a Place None of Us Has Been" (SEPT)
"And With The Power of Conviction, There is No Sacrifice" (Late SEPT)

Those are some of my favorites... some days I'm really philosophical, others I just say what I ate.

7) I use Dr. Walford's Interactive Diet Planner, a piece of nutritional software, to plan my diet and make sure I'm getting all the RDAs. I highly recommend that anyone trying to do this get software and use it constantly. I was shocked at how bad my nutrition was when I first started, and I've always been a "healthy" eater. You never know until you plug it into the program.

Okay, enough for now. Gotta do some more stuff before work.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thanks for the "best of" list, I think..
    ~ does that mean I now have more homework? ;0)

    Speaking of best-of's, in addition to your recent appearance, did you know you're in an earlier edition of bestofcr? see http://bestofcr.com/node/view/337

    Hey, Ms. "Flawless" Zenner-a girl, you seem to drink a good deal of coffee while out. Ever consider green tea? It's at least as important in my diet, if not more so, than the resveratrol from red wine! If you have Coffee Bean shops out there, try their blended green-tea type latte, which is absolutely, unmistakably to die for.. yah heard it here first

    BTW, I really like the McGlothin 18 hr/day fasting approach and have swapped CRS posts with the enlightened & entertaining Paul on occasion re same. Now that you mention it, I just happen to have changed my routine, TWO days ago, to a pre-surf 250cal energy snack at 5am and the balance of my 1500cal meal at 11am. For me, changing eating patterns up is great for variety -- and that fasting paradigm provides great opportunities for pigging out once a day!! At 4.2 lbs, my 11am meal is genuinely gigantic ~ totally "all you can eat." Consequently, I simply don't get hungry, and actually feel quite full & satisfied, throughout the remainder of the day.. isn't CR sometimes fun!
    kenton

     

Post a Comment

<< Home