April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

"You Know Your Public Is Missing You"

That was my mother. She doesn't like it when I don't write.

I'm sorry bloggiefriends, I've been absolutely distracted. I have, however, been eating very well: all the usuals: eggwhites, cottage cheese, yogurt, lots of veggies. Last night my mom and I went out to dinner and I almost collapsed into hysterical giggles when two different waiters tried to give us a bread basket and both times we asked them to please just give it to someone else. It's amazing -- you turn down bread, and people look at you as though you've just suggested that the earth is flat. This, in the day of Atkins! We ate a shrimp thing over arugula, and I had a seafood stew that I have some dim memory has something in it that Michael Rae once said has zinc. You remember the post, the one where he talked about no longer being a vegetarian. Come on, archive searchers, go find it. If you find it and give me the exact quote, I'll give you a refrigerator magnet.

The last time I offered a magnet as a prize it was for a task that I later realized was mathematically impossible. Remember that one, Willie and Fruitgirl? That was really funny. That was back when we were on the Quest for the Protein Source That I Actually Like And Want To Eat. Remember how I used to make the eggwhite scramble and put it in a tupperware to take to work whilst drinking an entire whey protein shake in one uninterrupted slurp from a straw? The other day I was making myself a new mix tape (yes, that was me blasting Liz Phair at 4:30 am) and an eggwhite scramble at the same time, and I almost burned the eggwhites while running over to stop the CD at the end of that Jesse McCartney song from the Cinderella soundtrack. I ran back just in time. Even I have trouble making a mix tape and breakfast at the same time. I did manage to get through the morning without setting anything on fire. Remember how I was scared of my gas stove when I first moved into the new apartment? I'm still a little frightened of it... like it's going to jump out and set my hair on fire or something. It hasn't shown any murderous impulses yet.

If I'm going to do stream of consciousness, I ought to just do foodlists. Breakfast eggwhites midmorning snack cottage cheese (80 cals) lunch vegetable soup afternoon snack iced latte with skim dinner vegetable soup that my mom made with tomatoes spinach beans artichokes piece of cheese leftover from NYE party small glass of wine in little German wineglass that my mom brought home from a trip Yesterday eggwhites for breakfast didn't skip breakfast so there! salad with cottage cheese lettuce tomato green pepper beets olives vinegar dinner at this really cool place down the street where they kept trying to give us bread which we definitely didn't want.

More soon, OK?

3 Comments:

  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger fruitydog said…

    i loved your stream.

    i vote for your mom to start a blog.

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know many people with eating disorders and this is a major problem right now. DO you honestly feel good about yourself for promoting restrictive eating and the idea that food is the enemy? I used to be super skinny. Now I'm regular weight and happier than ever. AND I eat carbs! How we feed ourselves is a completely psychological matter. Do you write in your blog about what's missing EMOTIONALLY

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know many people with eating disorders and this is a major problem right now. DO you honestly feel good about yourself for promoting restrictive eating and the idea that food is the enemy? I used to be super skinny. Now I'm regular weight and happier than ever. AND I eat carbs! AND I'm totally healthy, in love, have a great job, and good relationships with family and friends. How we feed ourselves is a completely psychological matter. Do you write in your blog about what's missing EMOTIONALLY in your life? For someone who's so socially conscious, seeing food as the enemy is a major socio-cultural issue. I wish you would think about all of the people in the world getting into eating disorders and stop preaching to the masses about seeing food as the problem. Why are you so compelled to control your food intake and have your life revolve around this to this degree? Are there things missing in your life and you're convinced that controlling food is the solution? Do you really want your close relationships to revolve around how much you eat? CRON may be a great community, but how much do you let people get to know you, really?
    Will you post this or will you delete this?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home