April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Happy New Year -- In Iceland

No, I'm not in Iceland! I'm in Conshohocken, PA, a lovely little suburb right outside Philly where I live and work! Anyway, one of my CR brothers pointed out to me that I would be on exactly the right time schedule if I lived in Iceland. So while I have no immediate plans to move, it's nice to know that there's some place where I would fit in!

After a lovely New Year's Eve party, I went to sleep by 10 and was up as usual at 4 am. I still have some cleaning to do to get the apartment back to normal, but I think everyone had a good time. It was nice to be able to dress up and wear some new jewelery that I got for Christmas... my father and step-mother bought me this beautiful bracelet, a braided chain made of finest silver, no clue where it's from but it has tiny little diamonds and is very sparkly. My mom found a necklace on e-bay that is also sparkly and has little purple things in it, so I wore that too... way more jewelery than I usually wear, but hey, it was my party!

I was concerned that the party would be a set up for overeating on junkie carbs, since my mother had purchased quite a few different kinds of crackers to serve with cheeses (it was a wine and cheese party, for the most part.) I ate some leftover free range organic turkey just before the party so that I wouldn't be starving, and at the party I ate mostly from the vegetable tray (provided by the local produce market) and quite a few pieces of cheese but no crackers. I figured that by observing the "not one cracker rule," I was unlikely to have that "You can't eat just one" response that has been so common with me and junkie carbs. I am not sure how many calories I ate, between veggies dipped in hummus and cheese, but I doubt that I went much over target if at all since all I had eaten during the day was the turkey and an iced latte with skim. Not a good day nutritionally, but for New Year's Eve it's definitely much better than usual.

Today I need to get back on track with my normal foods. That shouldn't be hard, since I'm just working on some projects and doing laundry and such.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi.

    I ran across your blog not long ago; I was curious because I followed a similar CRON program for about three years, and it's been nice revisiting my old lifestyle.

    I wanted to ask you, though, have you been in for a bone density scan? I was forced to stop cronning because even though I was making all my RDAs (including, of course, calcium, vitamin D, magnesium), and even though I was on a light weight-lifting program, my bones started just disintegrating. Now, though I'm not that much older than you are, I have the bones of someone forty years my senior. I'm on a prescription drug in hopes of building them up.

    I just thought I'd warn you, or recommend that you get a DEXA scan. Living is long time is great, but not if you're bed-bound with a broken hip.

    Good luck!

     
  • At 5:52 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Hi there! I hope you don't mind me posting comments here often and asking you questions...I'm really not a stalker. ;)

    I'm curious about the Brewer's Yeast...why do you use it? I've read about it a bit online and what is said about its nutritional benefits, but just wondered why it is that you, specifically, think it is important and find it helpful. You may have already explained this in an older entry, and if so, please just point me in that direction if you would.

    Thanks, and Happy New Year!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home