April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Sunday, December 26, 2004

But Couldn't Find an Open (Salad) Bar

On Christmas morning I woke up to the sound of my neighbors playing (loudly) that depressing Dan Fogelburg song about how he met his old girlfriend at the grocery store. There's a line that goes, "We went to have ourselves a drink or two, but couldn't find an open bar." Well, today I went to find a salad, and couldn't find an open salad bar! I was taking a break from big project, and I went up to the Asian grocery store, which has a fantastic salad bar. They were open, but no salad! So I bought 2 pints of grape tomatoes (they're selling fabulous grape tomatoes at 2 pints for $2.99 -- can you believe it?) and went off to the supermarket to try to find a salad there. Their salad bar was closed too! So I just ate one pint of grape tomatoes and decided to wait to eat more until I get home. Now I'm at a stopping place, but it's already 4 pm and I have dinner company coming over at 6, so I'm not sure what to do. All I've eaten today is an eggwhite scramble and a pint of grape tomatoes -- too little even for a day when I'm low appetite due to previous overeating (the last two weeks.) I think I'll just make a super healthy dinner, and definitely get my brewers yeast into the soup. Maybe I'll have my yogurt and salsa thing when I go home while I cook dinner... I could use the calcium, and eating more protein is working wonders for my concentration. It's like all my focus is back... the magic of protein at work again.

Spent the morning working on a project and getting progressively more annoyed at Christine Daae for leaving the opera to run off with that absolute idiot. Since I've gotten email from readers who know the story, I'll run on about it a bit... why, why did she do that? Because she was 18 and stupid? Because she really wanted to die and have "beloved wife and mother" be the only thing on her tombstone? I had a chat with one of my CR brothers about the relative artistic merits of making the audience root for the bad guy. The Opera Ghost wasn't exactly the bad guy... I mean, he killed a couple of people and that was a touch awkward, but he had a terrible childhood and he was a great composer. And I thought his basement apartment was awesome! I would love to have a moat around my bedroom.

This is why I don't see movies or read fiction very often. I get way too involved. I recently read a book about England under Queen Mary and spent the entire week asking people if I was about to be burnt at the stake.

Of course, I get way too involved when I read non-fiction too, but at least if I read something that convinces me to eat differently, I can do something about it. It's much more productive than arguing with fictional characters.

Okay, that was a lame attempt to tie this in with CR. I'll stop writing until I can provide you with some food-related content.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home