April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Friday, March 18, 2005

And My Winter Giving Way To Warm

It's night time and I'm listening to Fiona Apple. First album. "Pale September." I am of the opinion that there are very few things that can't be communicated in either an Alana Davis song or a Fiona Apple song.

I have this irrational belief that spring will somehow clear up some of the misunderstandings that have plagued the CR community as of late. It will be 50 degrees here tomorrow and I take that as a hopeful sign. In the meanwhile, I continue to write letters to luminaries in the biotech world, search for grant applications for corporate philanthropy, and rack my brains for new ideas on how to raise money for the M Prize. Like my work before, it's good to know that I am at least heading in the right direction.

Was thinking tonight about what good company the blog has been. I know you're out there because I watch my counter statistics, and there you are, reading about cottage cheese and kale. I wonder how you're doing on your CR journeys. I love it when you write me -- Willie, great to hear from you! MR runs everyday, does some kind of resistance training, and I don't know about the rest. Laura -- be sure to get low carb torillas that have 50 calories for the pizza! Fruitgirl -- eat some protein!!! Dani -- how's the CR going? Jerry in Colorado -- how have you been? What do you think of the engineering approach to curing aging? Paul -- how are things in Hong Kong?

It's almost my CR birthday... March is here, and of course I am remembering last March, a very different March, in which this March would have been difficult to imagine. The first time I ever saw MR in my email inbox... not long after I read Walford... the first lame attempts at CR... it seems like a very long time ago. This has been an unusually long year. I feel like I am growing by leaps and bounds, learning things, spending a lot of time in free fall. Last year Aubrey de Grey was an author of fascinating scientific articles, and I was too scared to email him and ask "What can I do?" Last year, I could still complain about my weight! Last year, I ate bagels with cream cheese, I had never heard the term "life-extensionist," I thought I was getting enough protein!

Now I'm planning a trip to visit MR at the end of the month, during which I will attend what will prove to be a historic debate between Aubrey de Grey and Jay Olshansky at BIOMEDEX in Montreal. I've sent letters to all the biotech companies that will attend asking them to support us... keep your fingers crossed!

One of my M Prize brothers, Kevin, has started his own blog. It's much prettier than mine. You can find it here: http://www.healthextension.net/ Kevin is one of the wonderful people I've met since I became involved with the M Prize.

Another of these wonderful people, Aaron, is writing his own CR blog!!! www.spaz.ca/blog. Aaron is one of the rapidly growing tribe of CR'd Three Hundred members. Yea!!!!!! It's about time a CR boy wrote a blog. The girls have the market cornered right now.

It's warm in my apartment because I keep the heat way up high. My cat is sleeping under my desk in his basket. I am getting sleepy. Fiona Apple's "Pale September" is on continuous repeat on the CD player.

"And my winter giving way to warm..."

1 Comments:

  • At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Perhaps the ship has sailed on attending, but when is this historic debate taking place?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home