April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Broccoli: It's What's For Dinner

I ate my eggwhites. I feel whole again. 29 grams of protein, 140 calories. All is well with the world.

Had grape nuts earlier... 200 calories for a half cup. I realized after pouring a half cup serving that I had not yet unpacked the spoons, so I just ate it from the cup by pouring the grape nuts into my mouth. Drank 140 cals of cranberry juice. The new market doesn't have the unsweetened, so I was stuck with the "light." VLC is buying me some unsweetened at Whole Foods next time she goes. And to answer Dani's question: VLC is Very Little through a combination of genetics and will power. She workes out all the time, eats great, and her whole family is thin. She's one of those super model type girls whom I used to hate... until I discovered that I can eat fewer calories than she can and still keep my curves! CR favors the curvy girl... I am very lucky. I would love to convert VlC to CR because she would be so much fun to hang out with in the next century.

Tonight I'm making salad with the new salad dressings I bought, and steamed vegetables, including that fabulous broccoli I picked up this morning. In fact, I'm on my way to make them now. I finally got my wok from the old apartment this afternoon so I can return to stir frying with reckless abandon.

I spoke with a family member recently who hasn't seen me in awhile, but has heard about CR. She asked, "When did you stop feeling hungry?" I said, "Usually right after I finish eating." I talked with her about how I feel so much more satisfied now that I eat more protein, and how getting the RDAs of all your nutrients makes you feel complete. It sounds weird, but it's such common sense. You give your body what it needs and you don't give it what it doesn't need. What could be more logical?

My mother says, "Makes you wonder why everybody doesn't do it!"

More tomorrow.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My prediction: Nerd Camp's the theme this year in Charleston! Some can dress up ~ most can come along as themselves :-)

    I like the calcium-fortified yogurt idea, and think your body will do well in the process of absorbing it (sometimes absorption is an issue).

    Your diet's going great -- good choices with the salad dressing. (I'll tell you the truth once you finish the bottles. heheh, j/k) I like olive/canola oil over soy and other vegetables oils because of the relatively high monounsaturated fatty acid (MUFA) content and the relatively low omega-6 (n6) content. Those other vegetable oils will kill you on the n6 content, making it difficult to get a nice 2:1 ratio of n6 to omega 3 (n3) polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs). As a minor point, I personally prefer the nutrition of olive oil (or high oleic sunflower oil) over canola oil (but canola's quite good), and much prefer the nutrition of extra-virgin olive oil over regular.

    Congrats on the move, and the Zen continuity! What's with the %$#@ feline? "Kieffer, take a chill pill, will yah ~ you're gonna love that new
    'bird trap' balcony." :-)

    Regarding VLC, it doesn't sound like she needs converting. If she is tiny, eats a little & eats great, regardless of whether she professes CR, why wouldn't she stand to lead a long life like you into the next century? What part of "CR" is she omitting? Hmm, IOW what would VLC need to do to be converted?

    kenton

     

Post a Comment

<< Home