April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Thursday, September 23, 2004

Fruit Seeking Behavior

I went to my meeting late this afternoon at the Hilton on City Avenue in Philadelphia, and was confronted with the newest innovation in hotel hospitality: the free apple basket. Hiltons all over the country are doing this now. Needless to say, VLC and I consumed. Free fruit is our speciality. Very small apple, delicious, nice little snack. Probably shouldn't have indulged, after yesterday's big fruit day, but it was really yummy and how can I feel guilty about an apple?

Drank several glasses of water at the meeting -- it was eighty five degrees here today! Our other co-worker, who was at the meeting, seemed unmoved by the free apples. You have to be a certain kind of person to engage in fruit seeking behavior.

Later on, I met a friend for a glass of wine at a restaurant in town. I ordered my glass and then went to the ladies room -- when I returned, the friend had ordered a goat cheese appetizer for us to share. Luckily, it came with a mixed green salad with an olive oil dressing, as well as a little olive tapenade-like side. I thought... aha! fat! The dish was delicious... I ate about an ounce of goat cheese, the entire mixed green salad, and the olive pieces. I ate none of the bread. I figure that covered my fat for the day (yea!) so when I went home I de-calied my flower, or de-flowered my cali, depending on your perspective, and steamed it, adding just a teaspoon full of fat free Caesar dressing (10) cals. That was it for the day. Glass of red wine while out, but I didn't drink the entire thing, probably only two thirds.

Went over to my mother's house to help her unload some heavy things from her car, and brought her a take-out order of cauliflower (about 30 calories worth in each of our servings). Sham ate about twelve ju ju bees, meaning chewed them a little then spit them out. They're bad both in nutrition and on the teeth, so it's just as well. Drank about three sips of the wine slushy she had made by sticking some wine in the freezer... so that plus the two thirds of the glass I drank out would add up to a whole glass, Walford sized, for 85 cals.

Hard to be sure on the number of calories in the restaurant food, but I'd say there was no more than a tablespoon of oil in the dressing, ten to twenty cals on the greens, and how many are one ounce of goat cheese? All in all, I think I stayed at or under target, but will have to enter into DWIDP when I get ot the office early tomorrow morning. I'm happy that I got lots of protein (check out that eggwhite scramble, skim milk, and yogurt combination, plus seven grams in my grape nuts), lots of veggies (cauliflower, red pepper, romaine, mixed greens) and fat (olives, olive oil.) So I ate a free apple? I won't be condemned to eternity of high carb darkness for that, will I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home