April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Friday, September 24, 2004

What Are You Eating?

I had one of those experiences this morning that led to what Lisa Walford calls a CRONversation with myself. This one, as usual, was on the subject of eating breakfast when I did not feel like it.

This morning, as I often do, I went to the grocery store before seven, and picked up some cat food, some more plain non-fat yogurt, and some veggies to cook up for dinner tonight. When I returned home, Kieffer (my twenty pound cat, for those of you who are new to the blog) charged out the door, as he always does, which he is allowed to do since there's a door that blocks the landing where my front door is from the stairs that lead to the outside. Usually I pick him up or he comes back in on his own.

But this morning he started frantically running around and jumping. I couldn't tell what he was after, but I saw something big and black in his mouth and feared that he had eaten some trinket that one of my neighbors had left out as a decoration. That would be a bad way to start off my residency in the new place.

When the object in his mouth flew away, and I realized that it was an extremely large, almost bat-sized moth.

The valiant cat charged off in pursuit of his prey, and after an epic battle, brought it into the apartment.

I was not thrilled. I'm all for the circle of life (I'm a vegetarian because I oppose factory farming and I'm too lazy to kill my own meat, not because I believe there is anything necessarily unethical about eating animals) but sometimes I'd prefer that the circle not take place on my white carpet.

Oh well. The cat killed the moth, and started to eat it.

I thought this might be good for his nutritional variety... after all, a steady life of Science Diet and Fancy Feast might produce a flying insect deficiency, that the occasional moth eating extravaganza can remedy. And while the cat is a touch overweight, moths I'm sure are both low fat and low calorie.

That being said, when he got distracted by a bird on the balcony and abandoned the moth to go check it out, I scooped up the corpse in a napkin and gave it a decent burial at sea (translation: flushed it down the toilet.)

When Kieffer returned from the balcony to the place where his prey had expired, he looked at me and meowed a meow which I am sure can be literally translated as, "Mommy, why did you eat my bug?"

All of this did not inspire me to eat my wholesome breakfast of eggwhites and skim milk.

But I know now that when I don't eat my wholesome breakfast and start my protein early in the day, I get behind and feel unfocused all day. So I made myself do it, and I am still feeling great. Had my mid morning grape nut snack, and have had consistent energy and mental focus all morning. Maybe this breakfast thing really works.

I packed a yogurt and red pepper lunch, and may supplement with lettuce again if I feel like it. For dinner I have a beautiful combination of broccoli, cauliflower, red pepper, and grape tomatoes, that I plan to sizzle with garlic and many spices, adding some of my fancy olive oils to make a nice olive oily broth that will help me eat fat without all the added sugars and stuff that are in my salad dressings.

This weekend I'm going up to New York for Myrna Perez' Thirtieth Birthday Bash, so we will get to hear about how CR Blogger Girl Goes Clubbing. And I don't mean murdering baby seals.


2 Comments:

  • At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's time for the next level: Kieffer goes CR! How can we let the lovable pet continue eating Standard American Catfood, when his waistline is beginning to bulge? His body is telling him to switch to low-fat food like the cruciferous moth and bird species. No wonder he got upset with you for flushing his nutritious snack! Time to order a software update that covers catfood. What are the RDAs for cats, anyway? A Fan

     
  • At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No offense, but little predictability is presented in your protein preferences and palatabilities.

    I mean, with your aversion to protein shakes and apparent affinity to egg white scrambles, how can we know from WHERE your next protein meal will come ~ and who’s to say you DIDNT eat that moth!??

    Call it feline intuition or what have you, but I’m siding with the cat on this one..

    kenton

     

Post a Comment

<< Home