April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Monday, December 20, 2004

A Glamour "Don't"

This is one of those entries that will probably make more sense to the sisters than to the brothers.

I regret to report that my outfit today is a Glamour "Don't." You know what I'm talking about, right? Those pictures of women with the faces covered who are wearing hideous outfits? Well, usually I am a bit of a fashionista, but today, it is very very cold. Like 9 degrees. So I am very bundled up. I am committing several fashion faux pas at once:

a) wearing black lycra leggings under a skirt

b) wearing hiking boots with a skirt and cashmere sweater

c) wearing Christmas socks with said hiking boots

d) wearing a yellow scarf with a blue polar fleece jacket under a black coat

It is very, very cold. That's all I have to say in my defense. I've never liked wearing layers, preferring instead to wear a soft scarf and carry around a large mug of tea at all times, or hold a candle and warm myself by the small fire. But today I just broke down and bundled up. It's miserable here. It's supposed to warm up by Christmas. I wish I had internet access at home, so I could just stay cuddled up with a cat, a warm cup of peppermint tea, and the heat way up high.

From the files of "better judgement than my outfit": I had a delicious, absolutely ecstatic eggwhite scramble this morning. That Goya salsa verde is outstanding! It's a bit spicy, but I really like that. Eggwhites are the perfect thing to put the salsa on, since they bring out its taste without competing.

I think I'm taking the afternoon off to finish my Christmas shopping. It's all been so crazy, and I have a ton of work to do on other projects. Of course, I do most of my computer work in the middle of the night... I was incredibly productive last night from 12:30 am to 2:30 am. Then I got back in bed with the cat and listened to the wind howl loudly outside the window, all the while rejoicing in the miracle of electric heat.

Lunch today will be some yogurt concoction with red pepper and some brewers yeast soup. Then I think I'll run out to the mall for the last few things. Not sure what I'll have out at dinner tonight, but I'll look at the menu online before I go so I'll already have in my head what sorts of negotiations I need to have with the waiter. Chances are I'll eat some seafood. Today will be a high protein day. I'd have to admit, as much as it still irks me to do so, that I feel so, so much better when I eat breakfast. Especially a high protein breakfast like eggwhites. If you don't usually eat breakfast, take it from a reformed former breakfast skipper: eat your eggwhites. You'll thank me later.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:46 PM, Blogger Mary Robinson said…

    I had lots of layers too - since it's soooooo cold. I am allergic to wool and can only wear my wool slacks and sweater if I have silk underwear on. This is too hot normally, but very comfy today.

    Trader Joe's salsa verde is very good too. I eat it on everything - including fish. I have a picture for the blog of fish with the green salsa on it. I have never posted it, because it looks gross. But it tastes oh so good. Salsa verde is a very virtuous substance, with only nutrients and almost no calories.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home