April's CR Diary

A diary of a 30 year old woman following CRON, or Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, for health and life extension.

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

You Never Slow Down, You Never Grow Old

On my way over to the office at 4 am I heard one of my favorite songs, Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance." I thought that line was an appropriate headline, considering that I seem determined never to rest.

After my last entry, you're probably thinking: that's all very nice, you love your CR siblings, but what did you eat? So I'll tell you. I owe you two days worth of food. Both of the days involved dinner out so I don't know the calorie totals. I think that last night was the last dinner out for a little while, so I should be able to do better in future.

Monday:
breakfast: eggwhites with salsa verde
lunch: salad with romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, a hard boiled egg, and green beans, topped with balsamic vinegar
dinner: went out. shared a shrimp appetizer, ordered a super protein dish: crabmeat, grilled tuna and grilled salmon, with avocado slices on the side. ate some of my friends shrimp thing in a tortilla and a few bites of the mashed potatoes. one Sam Adams Winter Lager. Refused to take off my polar fleece jacket because it was so cold.

Tuesday:
knew I'd be eating out at night so ate very little during the day.
made excellent yogurt concoction with 1 cup non-fat plain yogurt and a whole lot of salsa verde. sounds horrible but is actually delicious.
leftover asparagus, tomato, red pepper and eggplant dish
dinner: shared guacamole and chips, ate bowl of butternut squash soup, ordered shrimp enchiladas and ate about a fourth. already stuffed from guacamole and soup. red wine.

This has been my worst two weeks since I started CR. I actually feel terrible. The anxiety is creeping back, and it's not just that my life has been very stressful as of late. It's so true that the only thing destructive about my eating is when I fall off the CR wagon. I can't believe I used to feel like this all the time. The recent unpleasantness has been horrible (some of you don't know what I'm talking about, that's okay) but I am dealing with all the stress by doing what I always do: throwing myself into the one thing I believe is right.

Okay, I'm going to be okay, the holiday eating is over, I'm going to get back my CR inspired Zen.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would like to try your egg whites recipe as it sounds delicious. Do you use fresh egg whites or powdered/dried ? How much ? If I have missed your egg white recipe in an earlier blog entry, I'm sorry - please could you direct me to the recipe ?
    Also what do you usually drink besides your daily latte and glass of red wine ? Do you drink water, or tea ?

    Thanks for your help.

    L (supportive CR sister)

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, April--

    Don't worry about the stress of these two weeks. There's just no getting around the holiday season without being super-strict and thereby provoking social tensions. I go through this every year, and every year I try to come up with a better strategy for dealing with it. I figure my CR simply has to accommodate an occasional departure. It also helps psychologically, and you realize all over again just how much CR helps you. I consider that I'm making progress in dealing with holidays and social situations where overeating is the norm. I'm sure you will too.

    All the best for the holidays. See you in January!

    Michael

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mood tends to have a lot to do with variance in sugar intake too. Something to watch for.

    Reason

     

Post a Comment

<< Home